Let's be honest: birthdays are great, but college is expensive and paying for food on your birthday sucks. If you're sick of spending money and eating off campus on your special day, fear not. Here's a comprehensive list of restaurants that will give you free food on your birthday, making your day a little sweeter.

1. Saint Louis Bread Company

Saint Louis Bread Company will give you a free baked good or pastry on your birthday. You will have to sign up for their rewards program, but they won't spam your email (I promise). You also get a free pastry or baked good for signing up, so if you sign up on your birthday you can get two cookies. Amazing. 

2. Ben & Jerry's 

If you join their fan club, Ben & Jerry's will send you a coupon for you birthday for free ice cream. The closest location to WashU students is the University City Ben & Jerry's on the Delmar Loop, which is perfect because honestly, what's better than dinner on The Loop and free dessert after on your birthday?

3. IHOP

IHOP will generously give you a coupon for not one, but four fluffy buttermilk pancakes, topped with fruit and whipped cream if you desire, for your birthday if you join their eClub. But it gets even better—the coupon is valid for two weeks, so if you can't make it to the restaurant on your actual birthday, don't worry. 

4. Denny's

Denny's will give you a free Grand Slam breakfast for your birthday. No signing up. No strings attached. No surprises. Just head to your local Denny's with an ID so they can verify your birth date, and enjoy your free meal—it's just that simple.

5. Dairy Queen

Dairy Queen will give you a coupon for your birthday for a buyone get one free Blizzard if you subscribe to their emails, so sign up, get the coupon, and then make your friend buy a Blizzard and enjoy the second free one. After all, it's your birthday, so you deserve it.

6. Firehouse Subs

If you head to Firehouse Subs on your birthday, or anytime during the following week, you can get a free medium sandwich with a coupon. How do you get the coupon, you ask? All you have to do is sign up for the Firehouse Rewards program. 

7. Baskin-Robbins

If a free scoop of Ben & Jerry's for your birthday doesn't satisfy your ice cream cravings, then head to Baskin-Robbins to get another sweet treat for free. Simply sign up, and head to a store on your birthday with the coupon they emailed you to get your free ice cream. After all, you can never have too much dessert on your birthday.

8. Dunkin'

Okay so Dunkin' doesn't technically give you free food on your birthday specifically, but if you stop by a nearby Dunkin' after signing up for their rewards program, you can get a free coffee on your special day. You'll also get a coupon for a free coffee just for signing up, and two coffees for the price of one email is an easy trade.

9. Jamba Juice

If you join the Jamba Juice Insider club you'll get a free smoothie on your birthday, as well as a coupon for a $2 smoothie just for signing up. Sadly, the Jamba in Cafe Bergson doesn't accept the coupon, so you'll have to head to another Jamba Juice in St. Louis for your free smoothie.

There you have it—nine stores that will give you free food to celebrate you on your special day. From light snacks to full on meals, St. Louis is brimming with restaurants that will give you food without you pulling out your wallet. Sure, your inbox might get a little crowded since you signed up for all those clubs and newsletters, but the free food on your birthday makes it totally worth it.