On a typical morning, East 7th street is usually fairly quiet, especially when compared to the bustling St. Marks Place just one block up. However, there is one notable exception. As you stroll along, almost out of nowhere you’ll find a set of stairs leading down to the ever-buzzing coffee shop Abraço. With shouts from the espresso bar, the bakery in the back, and loud conversations between old friends, it's never quiet in this East Village coffee shop.

Meaning “embrace” in Portuguese, it only makes sense that upon entering, you’ll be greeted with a warm feeling and an orange glow in the dimly lit room. Filled with locals, both young and old, being at Abraço it feels like you’re in on a secret (and is definitely much more intimate than your local Starbucks). As the sultry tones of jazz coming from the record player fill the room, on a chilly Sunday morning, there’s no place you’d rather be.

Marisa Bianco

The line for the espresso bar wraps around the front of the shop, and for good reason, the espresso is some of the best in the city. I highly recommend the cortado, a creamy mix of equal parts whole milk and flavorful, rich espresso. No visit to Abraço is complete without at least one of their incredible pastries or baked goods.

Marisa Bianco

Their famous olive oil cake is indescribably smooth and rich, with a perfect balance of sweet and savory notes. All baked in the back of the store, pretty much anything they offer is going to be a safe bet. There's no better combination than sweet pastry and rich coffee to leave you feeling ready to take on the day.  

Marisa Bianco

The no laptop policy may make this a less than ideal place to go for a productive day of studying (don't worry, plenty of other East Village coffee shops are perfect for getting work done). On the other hand, if you’re looking for a place to bring a friend visiting from out of town, there’s no better spot. This East Village staple should be your new go-to!