Over the past two years, The Purple Bowl has brought delicious acai bowls, artisan toasts and Counter Culture coffee to Franklin Street and we over here at Spoon UNC are loving it. 

Lilly Washburn

The Purple Bowl Story

The idea for this little joint began when owner, Taylor Gilland, had his family come visit him in California a few years back. It was there that Gilland’s mother and sister experienced their first ever acai bowl. Upon returning home to Chapel Hill, they began making their own acai bowls at home because it was difficult to find a restaurant that served them.

The family decided that Chapel Hill was really missing out on this sweet but healthy treat, so they decided to open an acai bowl place of their own. Gilland went out and tasted various acai bowls and sent feedback to his family in Chapel Hill about what factors make or break the perfect bowl. Their dream became a reality when in July 2017 The Purple Bowl opened its doors to the Chapel Hill community.

What To Order

If you’ve ever been to The Purple Bowl, you know taking that first look at the menu can be overwhelming. There are so many questions that run through one’s head: Should I order a specialty bowl? Or build my own bowl with blueberries, almond butter and candied ginger? Am I hungry enough to order the giant size? Should I get a side of toast? Peanut butter banana or avocado? The world is your oyster here.

Madeline Hannon

If there is one thing that is for sure, it’s that you can’t go wrong with what you order. If you have a sweet tooth, then the acai bowls are the way to go. These bowls are loaded with superfoods, like chia seeds, cacao nibs and Goji berries, so not only do they taste great, but you feel great when eating them. Did I mention Nutella is a topping?

If you’re looking for something on the savory side, give the avocado toast a try (I promise you won’t be disappointed). With olive oil, garlic, chili flakes, lemon and salt, this hearty snack will keep you full for hours.

If you’re in a rush, stop in to get a coffee or a smoothie for the road. The Purple Bowl uses Durham’s own Counter Culture coffee beans in all of its coffee beverages (yay local!), which makes them taste even better.

These are only a few of the yummy options that The Purple Bowl offers. Not only is the food delicious, but the individuals who work there are so kind; they always greet you with a smile and look happy to be there. The Purple Bowl loves to be involved with the Carolina community and often hosts benefit nights for various local charities and philanthropies.

Katie Krupnick

So if you’ve never been to The Purple Bowl or maybe you’ve had too much pizza on Franklin Street, I suggest you give it a try because who really cares whether you know how to pronounce acai or not?

**Pro-tip: It’s pronounced “ah-sah-ee”