This summer I studied abroad in Italy for 6 weeks. I traveled around the country visiting cities like Rome, Orvieto, Bologna, Florence, Venice, and the Amalfi Coast. While I was studying art history and Italian literature, my favorite part of this experience was exploring the different cuisines of the different regions of Italy. Here is my Foodie's Guide to Eating Through Italy that includes some of my favorite restaurants and must try foods: 

Rome

Rome is the capital of Italy and is located in a region called Lazio. Lazio is known for cheeses such as buffalo mozzarella and Pecorino Romano.

Antica Bottega di Norcia: I had my favorite meal at this small butcher shop next to the Piazza Navona. This is the place to go if you want an extravagant charcuterie board or panini.

Orvieto

Orvieto is a small town in the region, Umbria. Orvieto is the main city that we stayed in while studying abroad. Umbria is known for porchetta and truffles.  

Mezza Luna: this restaurant is known for it's Spaghetti Carbonara. This dish was even given the title "the best carbonara in Italy" and I would completely agree.

Ristorante Al Pozzo Etrusco Da Giovanni: this restaurant was by far my favorite in Orvieto. Definitely try the truffle fondue, it's to die for.

Bologna

Bologna is known as the food capital of Italy and is located in the Emilia-Romagna region. This region is known for the production of Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, spaghetti al ragù, or Bolognese sauce, an appetizer called Friggione and tortellini in broth. 

Parmigiano Reggiano: many restaurants will have cheese plates with only parmesan and honey. 10/10 would recommend trying this because you'll have the best parmesan you've ever tasted.

Friggione: Friggione is a popular Bolognese appetizer made with tomatoes and onions. It may sound simple, but it is a delicious pre dinner snack offered at many restaurants in Bologna.

Venice

Venice is a very famous island located in the region, Veneto. Located directly on the sea, Venice is most well known for their seafood dishes such as spaghetti alle vangole and pasta or squid with squid ink.

Spaghetti alle Vangole: this dish is also known as spaghetti with clams. A must try in Venice!

Squid Ink: while it may not seem very appetizing to eat a dish that is completely black and saturated in squid ink, this Venetian dish is a must try.

Florence

Florence is located in the region, Tuscany. This region is known for Bistecca alla Fiorentina and the production of olive oil. 

Bistecca alla Fiorentina: a traditional dish in Florence is the Steak Florentine. This is a large steak that is usually served rare and shared with the table. Restaurants all over the city offer this Florentine speciality.

All'Antico Vinaio: this panini restaurant is one of the most highly rated in Florence. Although the line may be long, it is 100% worth it.

The Westin Florence Rooftop Bar: after a long day of sightseeing, I would highly recommend getting appetizers and drinks at this rooftop bar. The spectacular views are also a huge plus.

Amalfi Coast

This popular vacation destination is located in Salerno and is known for it's seafood and lemons. I stayed in a small city east of Amalfi called Vietri Sul Mare.

Limoncello: the region of Salerno is known not only for their lemons, but also for their limoncello. This digestif is served after almost every meal in this region.

Evù: Evù is a delicious seafood restaurant in Vietri Sul Mare. The octopus salad and the spaghetti with prawns is to die for. If you happen to end up in the beautiful little city, I would highly recommend.

Divina Vietri: this little pizzeria located in Vietri Sul Mare is amazing. The octopus pizza was hands down the best pizza I had in Italy.

Pasticceria Andrea Pansa: this bakery, which has been located in Amalfi for over 180 years, is irresistible. I had the delicious lemon pastry shown below. I would definitely recommend visiting this famous spot.

Italy is as rich with culture as it is in delicious food. If you get the opportunity to spend time in this unique country, I hope you have as amazing a food experience as I did!