Last week, my roommate and I traveled to Los Angeles for spring break. It was my first time traveling to the west coast, so I could not be more excited to see what the food culture was like. My goal was to try as many local places as possible. After reflecting on the eight amazing restaurants I was able to try (not including the multiple different ice cream shops), I decided there were three cafés that stood out for their atmosphere and food.

Urth Caffé

salad
Josi Miller

Urth Caffé is known for its coffee and extensive menu of sandwiches, salads, and desserts. It's a trendy (or "basic") LA place. Although there was no celebrity sightings during my visit, I did not leave disappointed. My iced tea and vegetable pesto sandwich were made to perfection.

Aside from the meal, this restaurant's location gave me the opportunity to people-watch and absorb the LA culture. I'm not a coffee drinker, but Urth Caffé was still able to satisfy all of my cravings. 

Lemonade 

bread, avocado
Josi Miller

After walking into Lemonade, I immediately knew why my roommate said I would love this place. It was so me. From the white walls with dozens of windows that let in the sunlight beam in to the many vases of sunflowers on the tables, this cafeteria-style restaurant gave off a playful and energetic vibe. 

Lemonade is a firm believer in colorful food and you can definitely see this in their salads and sandwiches. What's great about Lemonade is that you can create small portions of any of their salads and vegetable medleys, so you can try it all! Since lemonade is one of my favorite drinks, I went with the old-fashioned flavor and left with zero regrets. 

Malibu Farm

bread, avocado, sandwich
Josi Miller

This quaint, simple, friendly restaurant, located at the end of the Malibu Pier, is what the mid-west needs. All of the creative ways Helene (Malibu Farm's founder) uses art and interior design to enhance the food experience made me appreciate my meal even more. I (once again...) ordered a veggie sandwich and was amazed by how great it tasted even without any heavy seasonings added to it. 

Although I was only in LA for five days, my first impression of their food culture was a positive one. All of the small-scale restaurants used only the freshest ingredients and emphasized the significance of having a colorful plate with a happy atmosphere. I hope to go back to these three cafés sometime soon and continue my food adventures.