It's Monday morning, and you stumble out of bed wishing it was anything but. You need something to drag you through a long day of classes—something sugary, something fried, and something to go with a hot cup of coffee. Luckily, if you're in Athens, you've got a few places to turn to so you can get your donut fix.

1. Zombie Coffee and Donuts

sprinkles, chocolate, doughnut
Samantha Fehd

You've probably seen their colorful array of donuts at on-campus events, or even saw a gorgeous Insta post of their finest creation. Though the DT location is young, Zombie is still one of Athen’s best known donut shops.

Using a warm vanilla cake donut, they allow you to completely customize and choose from a list of flavored icings and toppings. If you’re feeling overwhelmed, you can look over at the glass case near the register to see examples of some of their most popular pairings.

Best enjoyed with a hot cup of Zombie espresso or carried out by the dozen, Zombie is a must for Athens donuts.

2. Ike & Jane

If you’re looking for a local donut with Normaltown vibes, try Ike & Jane. The quaint bakery offers a variety of selections of donuts, pastries, and bagels as well as menu options served until 3pm.

Their donuts are begging to be seen, topped with candy or cereal for a real Instagram-worthy bite. But fair warning: their donuts tend to sell out quickly, so stop by for breakfast to see their full daily selection.

3. Krispy Kreme

Rebecca Buechler

Krispy Kreme may be a chain, but it has its own Athens traditions. They're presence is familiar on campus, helping multiple student orgs with fundraising efforts. But off campus, rumors circulate from time to time about their closing.

Some say they put out all their extra doughnuts from that day for people to grab at night, as a fun way to pick up some free sweets. I’ve never participated in this endeavor, but I still know that Krispy Kreme and its “Hot Now” neon sign will forever hold a place in my heart.

4. Dunkin’ Donuts

wheat, sweet, chocolate, coffee, milk, cereal
Madeleine Howell Lipscomb 417A

Dunkin’ Donuts is a quick and easy way to grab a donut and coffee on the go, while still offering a wide variety of flavors to choose from. If you're really in a crunch for time, you can hit up the drive thru, but I usually tend to walk in so I can take a moment to stare at their mouth-watering wall of donuts.

Dunkin' offers the largest selection of different donut bases, ranging from normal vanilla to chocolate or blueberry cake. And then you may choose from more different flavored icings. My personal favorites are their marble donut with both vanilla and chocolate frosting or their maple donut.