As a Miami native, i've been eating around UM all my life. People are constantly asking me to recommend restaurants close by, so i've decided to make a compiled list of all the best restaurants that are walking distance from UM. When you're looking to take a break from fast food or the dining hall, but don't want to venture out too far, look no further than this list. 

American Food:

Swensen's Grill & Ice Cream Parlor

I've been a regular at Swensen's since as long as I can remember and to this day, it's one of my go-to restaurants. Whether you're in the mood for something sweet or a juicy burger, you can't go wrong. My favorites include the guava & cheese appetizer — picture sticks of savory fried cheese, topped with a sweet guava sauce — and the burger melt, a twist on an American classic, the patty melt. 

ROK:BRGR Miami

If you've never been to ROK:BRGR you're missing out. They have crazy unique burgers like the Drunken Pretzel, my personal favorite, which is a fat juicy patty with crispy onion rings and gooey cheese all tied together by a pretzel bun. Also don't skimp on the fries and pay that extra $2 for the truffle or sweet potato fries, it's worth it. 

#SpoonTip: ROK:BRGR has a special that you can get any burger on the menu for $10 on Mondays. 

Whisk Gourmet Food & Catering

Whisk is known for its good ol' southern cooking. They offer an extensive menu full of American favorites like corn bread and fried green tomatoes but also some unique dishes like blue crab and roasted corn fried rice. All these dishes taste as good as they sound and look. 

Station 5 Table + Bar

Station 5 is a small restaurant that can be found right on Sunset Dr. The best item on their menu, hands down, is the short rib tacos. What makes them so special? They're topped with Cheetos. I know this sounds really weird but just imagine a taco with soft, savory meat, topped with the nice cheesy crunch of Cheetos.   

Cuban Food:

Havana Harry's

My family is Cuban and this is one of my favorite Cuban restaurants in Miami, and it's only 5 minutes away from campus (driving). It's pretty impossible to eat here without leaving in a food coma, but it's well worth it. My favorites are any of the tostones appetizers and the lomo saltado — a mixed plate of steak, tomatoes, onions, peppers, and fries. Yes, fries. Be sure to somehow leave room for dessert though because they also have freak shakes like the Nutella Overload which is heavenly. 

Mojito Grill

This casual little restaurant offers some fire Cuban food. You can grab-and-go or take a seat at their outside tables and enjoy some authentic Cuban sandwiches, bowls, and wraps. I always go for the Cuban bowl or wrap and it never disappoints. 

Mexican Food:

TacoCraft

Tacos. Need I say more? But ok, I'll say more. Tacocraft has a bunch of specials throughout the week like Taco Tuesday and Happy Hour. Their margaritas are so good and this is coming from a person that isn't the biggest fan of margaritas. Their tacos speak for themselves but my favorite is the Chorizo taco (pictured on the left). 

Asian Food:

Akashi Japanese Restaurant 

Akashi is another one of my go-to places when i'm in the mood for some fresh, fantastic sushi. It's a small restaurant but they offer a pretty extensive menu whether you're a sushi-lover or you just want some good chicken teriyaki. The most popular (and best) roll is the Alex #2 roll, a shrimp tempura roll topped with avocado and crunch.

Other:

Pokebar

pork, beef, pepper
Lauren Diaz

So I listed this under "other" since poke is a fusion type food. But anyways, Pokebar is a new little restaurant that has some amazing fresh fish – salmon, tuna, spicy tuna, etc. You can make your own bowl or pick a recommended one like the Tuna Tango (pictured above) plus it comes with a free side of Miso soup or chips. 

#SpoonTip: Show your Cane Card to get a student discount.

So get off your bed, venture out of your dorm or apartment and try some of these great restaurants that are all walking distance from UM.