Lovers of egg tarts, taro pastries, iced boba milk tea and perfectly brewed coffee you can now rejoice. The popular Taiwanese 85°C Bakery Cafe officially opened in downtown Los Angeles this week and the lines were literally out the door and around the block.

This 85°C location (at the corner of Wilshire Blvd and Hope Street) marks their first expansion into Los Angeles, and from the look of things Los Angeles was ready.

bakery

Photo by Jessi Jordan

The first Bakery Cafe was opened in Taipei, Taiwan in 2004. It all started when the founder of Bakery Cafe, Mr. Wu Cheng-Hsueh, took a group of business associates to a cafe in a local five-star hotel. While waiting to be served, he noticed that the people outside were in a hurry while the atmosphere inside was very relaxed.

At the same time, he noticed that the prices on the menu were way too high for a few gourmet desserts and drinks. At that moment, an idea was born: 85 C Bakery Cafe — your new go-to spot that provides five-star quality cakes, coffee and drinks, without the five-star prices. Just one look at the lines out the door and this mouthwatering section of goodies tells anyone with eyes that founder succeeded in his vision.

bakery

Photo by Jessi Jordan

This place is super famous for their taro pastries, and I was honored to be amongst the first in all of Los Angeles to get a taste at their soft opening June 10th. Eating pastries is a hard job but someone’s got to do it.

Can you believe you can get a 5-star pastry for $1.95? That’s just nuts (thank you, Mr. Cheng-Hsueh).

bakery

Photo by Jessi Jordan

All of the staff there are extremely friendly and helpful. You can tell they are genuinely happy to be there.

bakery

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Every time a fresh batch of bread is brought out from the oven, everyone in the place, staff and customers included, yell out, “fresh bread!” at the top of their lungs.

bakery

Photo by Jessi Jordan

The Brioche bread is amazing, and I instantly became addicted to it. Seriously, I ate the whole loaf and I’m craving more right now.

They have both sweet and savory items all fresh baked every single hour they are open, and they are open from 6 am – 10 pm every day of the week.

bakery

Photo by Jessi Jordan

I took home a slice of that Blueberry Cheesecake that was calling my name.

bakery

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Blueberry Iced Boba Milk Tea? Yes, please.

bakery

Photo by Jessi Jordan

I ended my day of gluttony with these Choco Buns dusted in Oreo Cookies and Powdered Sugar – delicious AF. So stop reading and go head to 85° Bakery Cafe ASAP.