Anyone who has ever been to Big G’s knows that this place takes every normal sized food and enlarges it – double the size, double the flavor. These sandwiches are 100% worth the post-meal food coma, the only real challenges are navigating the menu and making sure you have the best possible experience.

If you’re someone who is indecisive, like me, choosing your sandwich may even bring you anxiety rather than excitement, and I don’t want that to happen to you. I hope to steer you in the right direction when you’re ordering so that you don’t make the mistake of ordering too much food or god for bid picking the wrong sandwich. Here are some ideas on how to make the best out of a rather large lunch menu at Big G’s.

1. Ask for a half order

Big G's

Photo by Olivia O’Neill

Trust me on this one, you will want to order a half sandwich rather than a whole. The half can be cut in half again, so you get the effect of the full sandwich while enjoying a normal amount of food.

The lunch menu is divided into two menus, which is overwhelming at first, but after I studied it a few minutes more than I normally study a menu, I figured it out. The menu on the left side is full of your classic sandwiches and ingredients for a classic build-your-own. They have pretty much anything you could ever imagine. You will find chicken salad, tuna, turkey, veggies, bacon, etc. The menu on the right side is for the specialty sandwiches, which I HIGHLY recommend.

2. Order “The Miles” 

Big G's

Photo by Annabel Darling

Over on that second menu, you’ll find “The Miles,” a true winner. Honestly, I am not super into Thanksgiving food, but after eating this sandwich I definitely reconsidered that thought. I mean, who wouldn’t want to eat Thanksgiving for lunch, any day of the week?

This sandwich is complete with turkey, cranberry sauce, and of course, stuffing. Anyone who doesn’t want their bread stuffed with more bread seriously has some re-evaluating to do. Not to mention the finishing touch of Swiss cheese – YUM. If you’re feeling really bold, order the full-sized version and either treat yourself or save the second half for dinner!

3. Sweet Potato Fries

Big G's

Photo by Olivia O’Neill

If you are at Big G’s and you decide that you can’t fathom the idea of devouring an entire beast of a sandwich, or you want something to go along with that beast, order the sweet potato fries. You won’t regret it, they are just as good as any of the signature sandwiches, and who doesn’t love fries?

And if you’re more of a regular french fries kind of girl, Big G’s has those too, so order up!

SpoonTip: Fries sizes are also on the larger side. Order the small and you will be satisfied; order the large and you will have enough fries for dayzzz.

4. Go with your teammates 

Big G's

Photo by Olivia O’Neill

This place is great for sharing, especially with people who have big appetites. Grab a few of your hungry teammates who’ve just finished a tough practice and indulge in some well-earned carbs. (I know you NARPS have big appetites too, so you’re also invited). Bring enough people to devour the masses of food you are sure to order while there!

5. Big G’s Breakfast

Big G's

Photo courtesy of Yelp

I never knew Big G’s had a breakfast menu until I saw it with my very own eyes. The menu is not as overwhelming as the others, and it has all the classics you’re craving in the morning. Swap your Sunday brunch at Riverside with a giant Big G’s brunch, chocolate chip pancakes included.

6. Whoopie Pies

Big G's

Photo courtesy of youngandstomachless

If you still have any room after indulging in one of Big G’s fine sandwiches, BUY a whoopie pie. These are massive too (are you surprised?) and definitely not your average chocolate whoopie pies. Softer than the normal whoopie pie and overflowing with decadent amounts of cream, this is the perfect ending to an outstanding lunch.

7. “Go Big or Go Home” Mentality

Big G's

Photo by Olivia O’Neill

Don’t let what seems like an overwhelming menu and overwhelming sizes stop you from trying out these delicious sandwiches. Big G’s is well known here in Maine, and after experiencing it first-hand I can certainly see why.

One last must-try sandwich: the Captain Bluetooth (add avocado).  It is huge (obviously) and the mixture of American cheese, turkey, sprouts and avocado is one that I hadn’t tried, but is now my favorite. Cheesy, gooey, and also veggie-filled – what could be better?

SpoonTip: Big G’s only takes cash, so come prepared!