Whether you’re a veteran to Tallahassee or a baby Nole, this list of the top sushi spots in town is necessary for survival. Read on to stumble upon an old favorite or to discover your new go-to spot in town.

This is not a ranking. Restaurants are listed in no particular order.

1. AZU: Lucy Ho’s Restaurant

sushi

Photo by Robert Wehrli

I had heard the buzz about the sushi brunch buffet AZU has to offer, but had no idea how popular it actually was until I walked into the madness myself. People are serious about their sushi. However, ordering off the normal menu won’t have you missing a thing. Pictured above is the Bang Bang Mango sushi roll. It’s a California roll topped with panko fried shrimp, mango, scallions and mango mayo. Believe me when I say that the fried shrimp dipped in the mango mayo was perfection. The only thing that made it better was that underneath was an amazingly fresh California roll ready to be devoured.

2. Masa

sushi

Photo by Robert Wehrli

Located on North Monroe Street, Masa is definitely a go-to spot for dinner meetings, dates or a girls’ night out. They offer a ton of options that are sure to please everybody, including an array of high-quality sake options. I opted for the Viva Tally sushi roll because Go Noles. This roll was unique in that it came battered with tempura on the outside and lightly fried. The fried tempura was actually delicious and the spicy scallops and avocado atop it paired perfectly together.

3. Jasmine Cafe & Lounge

sushi

Photo by Robert Wehrli

Located on East College Avenue, Jasmine Cafe is the perfect spot to snag a good Instagram photo, because it’s all about the feed, right? Jasmine is an intimate spot paired with a super friendly staff. One of the perks to Jasmine Cafe is that they have vegetarian sushi rolls available. Also, shout out to them for having authentic yellow ginger and not the fake bubblegum pink stuff. Pictured above is the Spider sushi roll complete with eel sauce in the shape of a web. Inside there was soft shell crab, tempura, avocado, cucumber and scallions. Even though we were full at this point, the sushi was too irresistible not to eat. I regret nothing.

4. Sakura Japanese Sushi & Grill

sushi

Photo by Robert Wehrli

The first notable detail about this restaurant is that our sushi roll was served on fire. However, the flames were just for decoration. * No sushi was harmed in the making of our meal. * Our roll was aptly named the Volcano. It featured shrimp tempura, spicy King crab and Kani salad. Overall the roll was delicious, but the fried Oreo dessert option is what really brought this place to the next level for me.

5. Kiku Japanese Fusion

sushi

Photo by Tatiana Olivier

Located on Ocala and Thomasville Road, Kiku serves up classic sushi rolls filled with tempura and plenty of fresh fish. However, their alternative dining options are what really caught my eye. For example, the Sashimi Pizza. It has a crispy, sweet potato piecrust with seaweed salad and assorted fish on top with spicy mayo; essentially, a deconstructed sushi roll. Plus, the lunch specials include rolls, bento boxes and hibachi, what more could you ask for?

6. Siam Sushi

sushi

Photo by Carlie Golden

Siam’s menu is so extensive that I’m really not sure how their cooks keep up with everything. Some of their sushi rolls are unique in that they seem to cater to people who like the idea of sushi more than the actual fishy dish. For example, the American Dream roll has shrimp tempura, lettuce, cucumber, spicy mayo and avocado. Personally, I would have zero shame in ordering that. All I would have to say to random sushi snobs is #’murica.

7. Munchiez Rollz

sushi

Photo by Caitlin Lazarus

This spot is unique because they specialize in huge sushi burritos. The picture above perfectly showcases what exactly those are if you’ve never heard of them before. The only downside to this spot is that it is temporarily closed. However, they should be opening back up soon sometime this February so be on the look out. Oh yeah, they deliver until 12 am too, so that’s extremely relevant.

Honorable Mention:

8. Sumosabi

sushi

Photo by Robert Wehrli

If you’re looking for a cheaper option, Sumosabi’s sushi rolls are the way to go. They’re definitely not at the same quality level as the other restaurants on the list. However, this is college and sometimes you need to satisfy your cravings in an affordable way.