beer
Robert Wehrli

MSL Whiskey House and Liquor Store recently opened its doors in Tallahassee and if you haven’t heard of it maybe it’s about time you should.

Located in the old Proof Brewing facility on Tennessee Street, MSL is an extension of Market Street Liquors and boasts a selection of over 200 different whiskeys. These range from the more commonly found such as Four Roses Single Barrel to the super rare such as the infamous Pappy Van Winkle. Yes…they have Pappy

So whether you’re a self-identified whiskey snob or just looking to get your feet wet in the wonderful world of whiskey, these are 7 super rare whiskeys you should definitely be ordering at MSL Whiskey House.

*Disclaimer: I am not a whiskey expert by any means, I just tend to drink a lot of it. I’m also not fancy enough to know how to properly use whisky, or whiskey in a sentence.

wine, beer, alcohol
Robert Wehrli

1. Jefferson’s Bourbon Presidential Select

Aged: 30 Years

Proof: 90.4

It’s not every day that you come across a bourbon that’s been aged 30 years, which makes Jefferson’s Bourbon Presidential Select such an incredibly rare find. Dubbed one of the best in their line of “Ridiculously small-batch” whiskeys, it’s bursting with notes of vanilla, butterscotch, and caramel spice. You won’t find this bourbon anywhere else in Tallahassee, much less Leon county, so drink up while you can.

Private Sellers: $300-$4,000 per bottle (Yeah…you read that right)

2. Willett Family Estate Single Barrel Kentucky Straight Bourbon

Aged: 22 Years

Proof: Ranges from 130-140…yowza

The Willett Single Barrel 22 Year is by far the best Willett that MSL carries (they have 9) and is also an extremely rare find. It’s aged in hand selected single oak barrels which make every bottle a unique tasting experience. With flavor notes such as cocoa, salted caramel, and dark fruit; this is a bourbon you need to get your hands on.

Private Sellers: $700-$2000 per bottle

3. Jefferson’s Presidential Select

beer, coffee, wine
Robert Wehrli

Aged: 18 years

Proof: 94

I bet you’re thinking, but didn’t you already talk about the Presidential Select? I sure did, but the difference is how long these whiskeys have been aged. The 18 year is one of the more coveted Jefferson whiskeys for a few reasons. Firstly, it’s dangerously easy to drink. Incredibly rich and smooth with notes of vanilla and toasted almonds, this whiskey is truly out of this world. As if this wasn’t enough, it has also been aged in Stitzel-Weller* barrels…mic drop…..which adds to the rarity and flavor of the bourbon as a whole.

Private Sellers: $500-$2400 per bottle

* Stitzel-Weller distillery went out of business in 1992 and is infamous for making Pappy Van Winkle bourbon which is often considered the best whiskey ever made.

4. Old RIP Van Winkle

Aged: 10 Years

Proof: 107

This whiskey is the newest addition to the Pappy Line but don’t let its age fool you. Although relatively young compared to other whiskeys on this list, it’s taste is still complex and full of body with notes of honey, tobacco, and toffee. This whiskey is best served with a few cubes to open up its flavor profile.

Private Sellers: $350-$1000 per bottle

5. Aberlour A’Bunad

wine, alcohol, beer, liquor
Robert Wehrli

Aged: No Age Statement

ABV: 58-60%

This mahogany colored scotch whiskey is matured in Oloroso sherry butts (heh..butts) and is an attempt to recreate the cask strength whiskeys that were popular before the beginning of WW1. The whiskey is a blend from barrels that range anywhere from 5 years old to 25 years old which makes for a complex and delicious final product. Flavor notes include sherry, raisins, and butterscotch. While not particularly expensive, it’s definitely a whiskey you won’t see anywhere else in Tallahassee.

Private Sellers: $60-$100 per bottle

6. Van Winkle 12 Year Special Reserve

Aged: You can probably figure this one out

Proof: 90.4

Don't be fooled by this no-frills designed label. The extra two years of aging compared to the RIP 10 year mentioned above really has helped to create a smoother and more flavorful whiskey. Flavors of cherry, vanilla, and leather come together in this batch in order to create a pleasurable tasting experience that will leave you wanting more.

MSL: $30 for a 1.5 oz pour. Private Sellers: $550-$3000 per bottle.

7. MSL Barrel Select: Blantons Single Barrel

wine, beer, whisky, alcohol, liquor, cognac
Robert Wehrli

Proof: 93

While it’s true that Blantons isn’t rare, what IS rare is the MSL Barrel Select Blantons that they offer at the bar. Here’s how it works: MSL gets together a team of whiskey experts who travel to the distillery to taste the best whiskey that Blantons has to offer. They taste about 50 barrels, and from that choose their favorite. The finished product is a uniquely original bourbon that you can only get at MSL. And. It. Is. Good. You need to get your hands on this whiskey because when its gone, there will never be another that’s exactly the same.

So now that you’re basically a whiskey expert, you should head over to MSL on Tennessee and impress your friends with your newly discovered palette. In the words of Mark Twain, 

“Too much of anything is bad, but too much whiskey is barely enough.” 
cocktail, ice, tea, rum, liquor, alcohol, wine
Robert Wehrli