One sunny day last semester, I unknowingly (and very fortunately) ventured into the Wheatsville Food Co-op. After exploring this local, natural grocery store and enjoying one of the best sandwiches I’ve ever had from their deli, I was very hooked and very happy. So, in an attempt to pass on the happiness, here are 7 reasons why you need to visit Wheatsville Food Co-op ASAP.

1. You haven’t lived until you’ve tried the popcorn tofu, aka Wheatsville’s most magical creation.

Wheatsville

Photo by Emily Fu

The popcorn tofu is essentially popcorn chicken, but made with tofu. It comes in both original and buffalo flavor, and you can also get it in an sandwich along with cashew tamari and sprouts. I had the Popcorn Tofu Po’Boy, and for someone who really loves meat and is generally indifferent to most sandwiches, this sandwich kinda made my whole day. 

2. Wheatsville is actually #eatsville.

Wheatsville

Photo courtesy of @wheatsville on Instagram

The deli options include sandwiches, vegetarian Frito pie, breakfast tacos, smoothies, fresh-brewed fair trade coffee, vegan donuts…need I go on? There’s also a top-of-the-line salad and beverage bar where you can get your hands on some fresh gingerade, tea and horchata.

3. There’s an aisle dedicated to every kind of soap imaginable.

Wheatsville

Photo by Emily Fu

I really, really love soap. And I really, really love Austin. So yes, hook me up with that locally-made ‘Barton Springs Eternal’ with shea butter and sweet almond oil. And while we’re at it, I’ll have a bar of that cool-looking bamboo charcoal soap too.

4. It’s the nearest equivalent of grandma’s giant spice cupboard.

Wheatsville

Photo by Emily Fu

Tired of plain old salt and pepper? Wheatsville has got you covered. No more bland meals for you — from now on, your cooking is going to taste like a party in your mouth, guaranteed. 

5. The cheese selection is on point.

Wheatsville

Photo by Emily Fu

There’s little else I love more than a variegated selection of cheeses. Perfect for your next cheese, wine, and Heads Up! night with friends.

6. Wheatsville will find any reason to celebrate a holiday — and you will too.

Wheatsville

Orange chicken, drunken noodles and General Tso’s Tofu for Chinese New Year? Fair trade roses and seasonal house-blend tea for Valentine’s Day? Fresh-baked King Cake for Fat Tuesday? Check, check and check. Yes to all of the above. 

7. They give back to the community.

Wheatsville

Now that’s a cause I love to support.