First thing you think of when you come to Texas? BBQ. People travel from far and wide just to taste world famous brisket, ribs, and pork. Coming from California, I had not eaten much barbeque in the past, but now I have become obsessed, even willing to wait in the longest lines for hours on end. Sometimes the best food comes from unexpected places, and here are the best ones in Dallas.

Smokey John’s Bar-B-Que

Dallas

Photo courtesy of @smokeyjohnsbbq on Instagram

Hands down best ribs. Located right near the Dallas Love Field airport, Smokey John’s Bar-B-Que is the perfect spot to grab a quick bite to eat before your flight. The favorite is “The Full House,” which includes beef brisket, sausage, turkey, baked beans, candied yams, and cornbread. You can also choose a meat plate with sides, and the mac and cheese is a must try.  

The Slow Bone

Dallas

Photo courtesy of @starrykitchen on Instagram

Ribs that fall off the bone, brisket that melts in your mouth, what else could you ask for? The sweet potato casserole and collard greens are popular sides, so be sure to get them as well.

Cattleack BBQ

Dallas

Photo courtesy of @cattleackbbq on Instagram

The line at Cattleack BBQ might be out the door, but the food is well worth the wait. Once you make it inside, you will be offered free beer. I repeat: Free. Beer. Choose from classic barbeque meats, or if you want something special, try the famous “Toddfather,” which is brisket, pulled pork, and hot links in one sandwich.

It was voted Top 100 “Best Barbeque Sandwich” by the Dallas Observer. For dessert, order the “Crack Cake,” a classic Texan sweet, gooey, butter cake. Pretty much can’t go wrong here. But be careful: they’re only open Thursday and Friday from 10:30 am to 2 pm,

Dylan’s Barbeque Saloon

Dallas

Photo courtesy of @mother_truckers_dallas on Instagram

Who doesn’t love a charming saloon? Located in a very unassuming part of Dallas, Dylan’s Barbeque Saloon is definitely worth the trip. Besides your traditional BBQ meats, other popular items include Pork Rind Pulled Nachos and the burnt ends of the brisket, a delicacy in and of themselves.

Mike Anderson’s BBQ House

Dallas

Photo courtesy of @bbqsnob on Instagram

Rugged on the outside, but full of delicious food on the inside. You can find owner Mike slicing the meat behind the counter, which makes this place that much more authentic. Come for the big portions and high-quality meat. Ribs and brisket are famous here, and if you’re feeling extra hungry, get the Cheesy Corn Bake with poblano peppers and BBQ beans with sausage. Plus, for dessert, Mike Anderson’s has free soft serve. FREE, PEOPLE.

ONE90 Smoked Meats

Dallas

Photo courtesy of @ameripol on Instagram

Favorites at ONE90 Smoked Meats include the Spicy Brisket Sandwich, as well as Brisket, Pulled Pork, and salmon tacos. Seating is limited and the restaurant is better known for their takeout menu, so this might be better for getting food to go.  

Lockhart Smokehouse

Dallas

Photo courtesy of @barbecuebeast on Instagram

The fan favorite here is the brisket with a side of the famous barbeque beans. Everything comes wrapped in butcher paper, no plates, AKA real BBQ style.