You’ve been eyeing that person for a while, and now that you’ve mustered the courage to ask them on a date, you realize: you’re stuck. Where do you go for this date? You don’t have a car, so you’re stuck in Middletown. What kind of date do you want it to be? Romantic? Fun? Adventurous? Are you confused now? Well, you’re in luck. Here’s a guide to the perfect date night in Middletown.

Luce

restaurants, date night

Photo by Zoe Su

Perfect for: Romantic dates.

This place is perfect for that classic and romantic Italian restaurant date. The lighting is dim and it’s relatively quiet, perfect for you and your date to get some quality conversation. It’s a little pricey, but the food makes up for it. The spinach gnocchi is my go-to.

Mikado

restaurants, date night

Photo by Zoe Su

Perfect for: Adventurous dates.

If you like sushi, I’d highly recommend this place. Located around the corner from Main Street, Mikado is tucked away and a hidden gem. They’ve got all kinds of sushi that you can (and should!) share with your date, and also interestingly named rolls that you should try. I’d recommend the Incredible Roll – it’s incredible.

It’s Only Natural (ION) Restaurant

restaurants, date night

Photo by Zoe Su

restaurants, date night

Photo by Zoe Su

Perfect for: Healthy dates.

As the only vegan café/restaurant on Main Street, they really do vegan food justice, and around Wesleyan this can be hard to find. Even if you aren’t vegetarian, you should definitely come here, the food is great and you won’t even realize that it’s vegan. The restaurant is nicely decorated with modern art on the walls and it has a great atmosphere, which is a great conversation starter for you and your date. Also, their sweet potato fries are the bomb.

Moonlight Sushi Bar and Grill

restaurants, date night

Photo by Zoe Su

Perfect for: Fun dates.

If you’re looking for a fun date, Moonlight is great because it has a hibachi grill. You sit at a large table with a Japanese style grill, and the chef cooks all your food right in front of you. The chef also puts your food right onto the plate. Most of the time, the chef can also throw food into the air and catch it with his/her spatula, which is a really cool thing to watch. You’ll leave wishing you could be that talented.

Forbidden City Bistro

restaurants, date night

Photo by Zoe Su

restaurants, date night

Photo by Zoe Su

Perfect for: Chill dates.

A hidden Asian food gem in Middletown, Forbidden City is a great restaurant to take your date on a chill night. The food is great and they have many different options including an entire vegetarian/vegan section in the menu. The restaurant itself is just dim enough to create a romantic vibe and the waiters are super friendly. My favorites include the Harvest Fried Rice and the Layered Tofu Cake.

Tandoor

restaurants, date night

Photo by Zoe Su

Perfect for: Budget dates.

Two words: lunch buffet. Priced at $9.95 per person, this is a steal as you can take as much as you want. Tandoor has solid Indian food and is an easy distance from campus. The waiters are friendly and the buffet is constantly being restocked with food. Also, the number of times you walk up to the buffet and how much food you can eat will definitely impress your date.