Burlington Vermont has been named one of the best places to eat with a wide array of foods that are locally sourced and hand crafted. This is one of the most appealing things about this city. Being a dessert lover, the more I ate my way through downtown Burlington, the more I began to realize that finding a good classic doughnut was tough.

This summer, it seemed as though the heavens descended when a new doughnut shop opened downtown called The Doughnut Dilemma. Now, this isn’t just any doughnut shop. The donuts made here are crafted with local ingredients, and are fried fresh every morning. As an added bonus, you can get these doughnuts at the Burlington Farmers Market every Saturday.

Doughnuts

Photo by Jonah Shechtman

Naturally, I had to go. When I walked in I decided to get half a dozen of their best selling doughnuts.

1. Lemon Poppy Seed

Doughnuts

Photo by Jonah Shechtman

When I first saw this doughnut in the shop, I questioned how good it would be, since the only Lemon Poppy Seed anything I’ve had was in muffin form. Much to my surprise, this donut was exceptionally delicious. The dough was dense, classic, and the lemon glaze on top was perfectly sweet.

2. Maple Glazed

Doughnuts

Photo by Jonah Shechtman

Lets be honest, every Vermonter loves their Maple which makes this doughnut a Vermont classic.

3. The Boston Crème

Doughnuts

Photo by Jonah Shechtman

I had never tried a Boston Crème doughnut before having this one. This might make me a little bias but it was absolutely delicious. The dough was super airy and fluffy, which left the perfect amount of room for the custard embedded right in the middle. The custard wasn’t too sweet and tasted sort of like vanilla pudding, making this doughnut one that you just can’t resist.

4. Jelly Doughnut with Plum Jam

Doughnuts

Photo by Jonah Shechtman

Usually I don’t like jelly doughnuts but this doughnut was an exception. All the jelly doughnuts made here are filled with seasonal jams, which emphasizes the perks of Burlington’s locally sourced foods. The jelly in this doughnut was plum, and on a side note was absolutely delicious.  The powdered sugared on top is, of course, a classic, and always makes it more enjoyable and fun to eat.

5. Chocolate Frosted with Fruit Loops

Doughnuts

Photo by Jonah Shechtman

This was one of the more interesting combinations in the shop that I knew I wanted to try just for fun. The doughnut was frosted in a chocolate frosting, much like your traditional chocolate cake. The frosting was very sticky and sweet but with a crunch from the fruit loops sprinkled on top. I could easily see this doughnut becoming a childhood favorite.

6. Chocolate with Toasted Coconut

Doughnuts

Photo by Jonah Shechtman

This doughnut was my favorite out of the 1/2 dozen that I tried. I do not know how a doughnut could be so heavenly. The cake of the doughnut was so fluffy and light, but the chocolate made it so decadent and rich. The coconut on top was the perfect touch giving it that perfect crunch and twist of flavor, offsetting the softness of the dough.

So seriously, if you’re looking for a dessert fix, go get some doughnuts from the Doughnut Dilemma.

Want more on doughnuts? Check out these links: