26th of January is around the corner. It’s time for the glutton in you to take things in control and indulge in some of the most uncommon yet lip smacking Indian dishes. We bring to you a list of such exhilarating foods you should eat this Republic Day and get in touch with the patriotic side in you.

1. Pyaaz Ki Kachori

Indian Food Gems

Photo by Sabhyata Badhwar

While kachoris, in general, are the best snack in the world, pyaaz kachoris still remain hidden from most. Bigger in size, these bad boys have spicy onion filling inside and an unbelievably crunchy crust. You can get yourself a Pyaaz ki Kachori (although I’m sure one won’t be enough) almost at any halwaayi.

2. Chicken Chettinad

Indian Food Gems

Photo courtesy of kurryleaves.net

Not that butter chicken isn’t all that divine, but this beauty, not known by many people, is just the quintessential mixture of flavours from the South and rich spices. A special call to all coconut lovers – you’re going to find plenty of it in this succulent chicken dish.

3. Aloo Pitika                                                                            

Indian Food Gems

Photo by Princi Verma

The Indian version of mashed potatoes. The only difference: Aloo pitika is so much better. Originally an Assamese dish, it contains rich flavours of garlic, coriander, ginger and lots of chillies. Next time you go to a North-eastern restaurant, get a serving of aloo pitika along with the main course and it will rock your world!

4. Kalakand

Indian Food Gems

Photo by Princi Verma

In simple words: milk cake. But heaven knows how much more there is to kalakand! This is some glorious slow-cooked dessert we’re talking about! Let’s just say that this sweet and sticky cake is so mind boggling, you’ll want more.

5. Keema Baati

Indian Food Gems

Photo courtesy of @delhithug on Instagram

The signature dish of the Rajputana. A slight difference from the classic Rajasthani baati is that when you crack open one of these, magnificent keema will ooze out. If you love both chicken and spicy food a little more than life, you’ll reach heaven!

6. Laal Maas

Indian Food Gems

Photo courtesy of @pyazadraklahsan on Instagram

Every list of food items is incomplete without a mutton dish. And this one fulfils the criteria beautifully. Maas denotes the meat with the Laal being the colour red. This meat delicacy holds the power to make all you mutton-haters change your opinion and tingle your taste buds! You can find laal maas at any good, authentic Indian restaurant at a decent price.

So go on, give in to some sinful gluttony! And gluttony with a motive, I must add. The motive of discovering secret flavours of Indian cuisine and celebrating our 67th Republic Day!