Here at Colby, we all know it’s very easy to get sick of the dining hall food and tired of take-out from the same five or so places. After the fifth time ordering Pad Thai Too, the 7th time ordering WHOP, or the 10th time ordering Mirakuya in one month, we often find ourselves going a little crazy. But before losing all hope that good food exists in Waterville, it’s important to explore all of the spots in this little town.

While Waterville may not have the variety of food that cities like NYC or San Fran have, it does have some good staples, and that includes burgers. Next time you’re at a loss for what to order or you cannot endure one more meal in Dana, try one of these burgers and I can assure you you’ll be satisfied.

1. “Cowboy Gourmet Steak Burger” from Joe’s Fireside Steakhouse

burgers

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

All of your favorite toppings have been added to this burger to create the ultimate blast of flavor. Crispy bacon, caramelized onions, and cheddar cheese make for a fantastic burger combo. Add BBQ sauce if you’re feeling brave, and prepare to be amazed.

2. “The Montreal” from Mainely Brews Restaurant and Brewhouse

burgers

Photo by Walker Foehl

Mainely’s is known for their special burgers named after all of the greatest cities around the globe. Try the Montreal, the Boston, or the Dallas for a new and delicious creation. You will experience the flavors of the world and feel like you’ve escaped Waterville for a night.

Or stick with your classic cheeseburger. Whether it’s American, Cheddar, Swiss, or Gouda (only to name a few), you will be able to choose your favorite cheese to top your burger, and that’s just the start to the burger toppings offered at this burger joint. Mainely’s has the biggest variety of ingredients for a make-your-own, and there are no limits!

3. “Classic Hamburger” from Waterville House of Pizza

burgers

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

WHOP is known around Colby for having great late night food. It’s a short walking distance from many of the bars in town, and it has a quick and easy delivery service that will deliver to the front door of your dorm after a night of drinking or on a lazy Sunday. You may have tried their pizza, but if you haven’t tried their cheeseburger, I recommend you do that pronto.

When you’re craving a classic burger, topped with the essentials like pickles, onions, ketchup, American cheese, lettuce, and tomato, this is the burger that will satisfy you. Sometimes you don’t need the fancy Special with gourmet ingredients, and this is just the burger that will suffice.

4. “Sautéed Garlic Shroom Burger” from Governor’s Restaurant & Bakery

burgers

Photo by Madeleine Cohen

If that burger title doesn’t entice you, then I’m not sure what will…perhaps the description on their menu will: “Sliced mushrooms freshly sauteed in garlic butter and topped with Swiss cheese piled high on our Angus Beef patty. Served on our famous homemade roll. A mushroom lover’s dream!”

Governor’s is only a 5 minute drive from Colby – it doesn’t get much better than that. Along with their delicious gourmet burgers they also offer a variety of baked goods, including cookies and cupcakes that are perfect for a last minute birthday surprise or pick-me-up for a friend.

5. “Cheeseburger” from The Last Unicorn Restaurant

burgers

Photo courtesy of thelastunicornrestuarant.com

After indulging in the “Famous Cheese Dip” or “Baked Brie” appetizers at the Last Unicorn restaurant, enjoy their classic “Cheeseburger” and you will be content for the rest of the night. Hidden in the Sandwiches section of the menu, it’s easy to skip over this item, but I advise you to look no further next time you’re perusing this lengthy menu.

This burger is everything you really need when you need to get off campus and experience something other than a Bobs Flatbread or a Foss Wrap. Perfect for lunch or dinner, treat yourself with this burger after your last midterm!

6. “Southwest Avocado Burger” from Silver Street Tavern

burgers

Photo courtesy of Facebook.com

Everyone loves avocado, and that’s definitely a food that’s hard to come by on Colby’s campus or in many Waterville restaurants. Silver Street Tavern offers avocado on their Southwest Avocado Burger, so now you’ll be able to fill that avocado craving you’ve had all week.

On top of your burger enjoy your avocado along with salsa, cheddar cheese, and a secret “cowboy” sauce that you’ll just have to taste to find out what’s in it. If you want to get adventurous with burger toppings, now is definitely the time!