Let’s face it: anything is better than tofu ravioli in the dining hall, and everyone loves Asian food. But, if you’re sick of the same old Ivy Wok and York St. Noodle House, check out Junzi Kitchen, New Haven’s newest Asian, mouth-watering culinary experience (as if there weren’t already enough).

1. A New Type of Chinese Food

Junzi Kitchen

Photo courtesy of junzi.kitchen

The average American automatically associates Chinese food with chow mein, beef broccoli and greasy egg rolls, but Junzi Kitchen is here to change that. Junzi offers authentic northern Chinese cuisine and gives customers a true taste of mainland China.

Instead of centering meals around rice, Junzi uses wheat, the focal grain of northern China. Wheat is mixed with water to create bing dough, which is then used to create Junzi’s main dishes: chun bing and noodles.

2. The Chun Bing

Junzi Kitchen

Photo courtesy of junzi.kitchen

Chun bing is basically an Asian burrito, except instead of being filled with beans and rice, it is filled with a different vegetables and protein options. Customers can indulge in white bing, or stick to the healthier option: whole wheat bing. Matchstick vegetables are wrapped tightly within the bing with your choice of protein, finished off with a variety of sweet and savory sauces.

3. The Noodle Bowls

Junzi Kitchen

Photo by Nicole Laszlo

Junzi’s noodle bowls are more straightforward. Knife noodles (wide noodles) or spring noodles (thinner noodles) are topped with protein, fresh matchstick vegetables, sauces such as jaja vegetable or chili sesame, and lightly sprinkled with garnishes like scallions or cilantro.

4. The Vegan and Vegetarian Options

Junzi Kitchen

Photo by Nicole Laszlo

Junzi Kitchen is not just for meat lovers. They also have two delicious protein options that both vegetarians and vegans can enjoy. Both their tofu and their mushrooms are seasoned to perfection with asian spices and go great in a noodle bowl and bing alike – you won’t even miss the meat.

5. The Teas

Junzi Kitchen

Photo courtesy of junzi.kitchen

Junzi’s teas will transport you to foreign lands, not all of which are even in China. Their Gunpowder Rose Tea made me feel like I was biting into a Ladureé Rose Macarón in Paris (minus the obnoxious pigeons). Their more traditional teas – iced jasmine tea and green tea – are also delicious, refreshing classics.

So the next time you’re jonesing for a flavorful dining-hall alternative, hit up Junzi Kitchen on Broadway – someone else will eat the tofu ravioli, don’t worry.