Morton’s Steakhouse, tucked away on Prospect Street near Mai Thai, often goes overlooked by Georgetown students due to its name and associated lofty prices, but it definitely deserves more credit. Though its delicious red meats might be above the typical student’s price range, Morton’s offers a number of delicious options that even an undergrad can enjoy. Here’s an in-depth look at the restaurant Washington Business Journal named “Best Steakhouse.”

1. Perfect for When the Parents Are in Town

Morton's

Photo by Hailey Maher

A visit from the parents is essentially an all-expenses-paid vacation from the dining hall, so make the meal count. If you’re looking for a spot for graduation dinner, a birthday celebration, or just a quality meal, Morton’s is a great place to bring mom and dad for a night out.

2. The Atmosphere

Morton's

Photo by Hailey Maher

The restaurant attracts family reunions and business meetings, making it perfect for a ‘fancier-than-normal’ date night or a dinner with good friends. Dress up and head out for shared appetizers, big salads, and multiple desserts under the dimmed lights and black trim of the dining room or in the comfort of the patio.

3. Happy Hour and Bar Bites

Morton's

Photo by Camille Reisfield

Yes, it is possible to get a solid meal without even coming close to breaking the bank: with a stacked menu of delicious bar bites starting at $7, it’s easy to have a solid meal (read: short rib steak tacos and parmesan-truffle matchstick fries) and still have cash left over to sip on one of their hand-crafted cocktails.

4. No Meat? No Problem

Morton's

Photo by Hailey Maher

If you’re not a meat-eater, don’t let the term “steakhouse” keep you away – with pescatarian, vegetarian, and even vegan options, this restaurant is perfect for every dietary preference. The salmon is a delicious alternative to red meat, and the appetizer salads are big enough to count as a meal. When in doubt, order any of the potato-based sides: hash-browns = amazingness.  

5. The Desserts

Morton's

Photo by Hailey Maher

If the entreé options have not convinced you, Morton’s might be worth going to for the dessert alone. Choose from a long list of delectable desserts: Morton’s legendary hot chocolate cake, a light and airy lemon soufflé for two, and many more. Their moist, towering, and extremely flavorful carrot cake (which takes an entire day and 77 different ingredients to make) is so worth it.

Morton's

Photo by Camille Reisfield

#SpoonTip: As recommended by the friendly staff at Morton’s, since the carrot cake is HUGE, bring the extra home and enjoy in the morning with your coffee.

Morton's

Photo by Camille Reisfield

Whether you want a light (and inexpensive) meal of bar bites or a treat yo’self feast (paid for by the parents, of course), Morton’s is your go-to place to find great steaks and other options alike. Be sure to stop by this secluded street to check it out, and make sure not to pass up dessert.