When I’m not taking my life advice from Liz Lemon, I take it from inanimate objects that have been baked till perfectly golden brown.

1. Variety is the spice of life.

pastries

photo by Ivy Wanta

While it’s good to have favorite things, the only true way to experience French pastry in Paris is by trying as many things as possible and appreciating each petit delight for its delectable differences. Éclairs, for instance, may be delicious in the classic chocolate variety, but life is more fun when you consider all of the creative flavors combinations, like Pecan Praline and Passion Fruit + Milk Chocolate at L’Éclairs de Génie. Take solace while sampling them all, knowing that through the massive calorie consumption you are not only answering the question “which is better, the mocha or the pistachio?” but also finding yourself.

2. Sometimes the best things come in small packages.

pastries

photo by Ivy Wanta

These mini choux á la créme (aka cream puffs) from Odette are proof enough. You could probably fit between one and three in your mouth at a time depending on how ambitious you are, but they’ve got flavor much bigger than their size. Each bite is a perfect balance of light, airy choux pastry, as only the French can produce, thick cream that comes in nine different flavors and super sweet frosting.

3. Everything in moderation, including moderation. 

pastries

photo by Ivy Wanta

If you can walk into Eric Kayser, the famed boulangerie, and not order five different pastries and eat them all within five minutes, I applaud you. For all of us with normal human levels of willpower, though, this lesson will keep you sane. It’s true, you might not need to have a madeleine, a canelé and a macaron in one sitting, but sometimes you need to indulge. At least you are making that indulgence worth it and getting in some ~culture~.

4. Time heals all wounds.

pastries

photo by Ivy Wanta

Or in this case, all super-full bellies. Eventually, you will want another French pastry, no matter how many you have eaten in an alarmingly short period of time. And that kind of certainty is always comforting.

5. Life is short, eat dessert first.

That’s all. Go get you some.

Hungry for knowledge and/or chocolate? Learn more about macaronsget an éclair in New Haven or get creative with puff pastry in your dorm room.