Dessert makes everything better. Whether it’s cheering up a bad day or sweetening up a celebration, you can never go wrong by giving someone a sugary treat. And with so many mouthwatering sweet shops in Berkeley, there’s a dessert for every occasion.

The Sweet to Celebrate: Cupcake from Cupcakin’ Bake Shop

treat

Photo by Julia Liang

Berkeley’s premier cupcake shop, Cupcakin’ has now been bakin’ away for over a year. It offers a delicious variety of flavors from the light and refreshing Lemon Blackberry to the creamy and comforting Cookies and Cream. These cupcakes are so tasty that they’ve received five out of five stars from Spoon and even inspired a personality quiz.

treat

Photo by Julia Liang

Each individual cupcake comes with its own clear, plastic, travel-safe gift wrap for a presentation as rich as it tastes. Celebrate a friend’s birthday with the perfect combination of decadent flavor and impressive presentation.

The “Just Because” Treat: Half Dozen Mason Jar from Pacific Cookie Company 

treat

Photo by Julia Liang

They bake their cookies fresh every morning, and the mouthwatering smells of just-out-of the oven Almond Joe (chocolate chips, almonds, and coconut), Dr. Midnight (chocolate cookie meets chocolate syrup and chocolate chips), and Cahootz (white chocolate and macadamia nuts) cookies are practically begging you to buy them.

treat

Photo by Julia Liang

Buy half a dozen of these in a mason jar and instantly make someone’s day better. They’re great as a casual gift, or just to bring as a pick me up for your study group or your roommate (or whoever is willing to share cookies with you).

The Post-Midterm Splurge: The Daily Special from Cinnaholic 

treat

Photo by Julia Liang

The cinnamon roll equivalent of Chipotle, this Spoon-approved Berkeley staple lets you customize your completely vegan cinnamon roll with 20 different flavors of frosting and countless other tasty toppings. If you can’t make up your mind, the Daily Special is a can’t miss combination carefully crafted by the owners themselves.

treat

Photo by Jocelyn Hsu

Everyone deserves something sweet after a long study grind, and the comfort of fluffy buttery dough covered in tangy icing is the perfect reward (or consolation) for a friend who just finished their midterm season.

The Classy Confection (for that special someone): Six Piece Truffle Set from Chocolatier Blue

treat

Photo by Julia Liang

Located in downtown Berkeley, this chocolate shop hand makes beautiful, artisan chocolate truffles well worth the walk. Each truffle is its own work of art, with a glossy chocolate shell in bright colors and eye-catching designs worthy of a Jackson Pollock painting.

Photo Courtesy of yelp.com

If presentation isn’t enough—they taste even better than they look. These chocolates are filled with gourmet combinations like grapefruit rosemary ganache or passionfruit caramel. Maybe you need an extra special gift for that special someone, or you just want to rave about some genius flavor combos with your best foodie friend. Either way, Chocolatier Blue’s six piece truffle box will be sure to impress.

treat

Photo by Julia Liang