Do you dream of steaming, green drinks or ginger goat milk gelato?

No? Don’t worry — I didn’t either.

After my visit to the local Durham Farmers’ Market, however, I just may start fantasizing about such creations. The market, tucked downtown on Foster Street, is packed with hippie vendors and a bounty of food trucks. There’s a myriad of people and products—from women in chicken feathers selling farm fresh eggs to seasonal treats and homemade pumpkin breads. This weekend I dragged my parents to the market to taste-test the best, most eclectic foods. An hour and a half later (and questionably five pounds heavier), we left the market with a memorable aftertaste of coconut, ginger and fried chicken. Next time you venture to the Farmers’ Market, I not only challenge, but also command that you to try these four masterpieces.

Coconut Matcha Latte

Full disclosure — I am addicted to coffee. So my first instinct was not to go running to the little tea stand. However, I must admit, the fusion of flavors in the Coconut Matcha Latte is truly unrivaled. Before you begin exploring the rest of the market, visit Jeremy at the Sangha Teahouse. His favorite, the Coconut Matcha Latte, has more caffeine than black tea and bunches of antioxidants from the Matcha leaf. The drink itself is a milky green, with a smooth, velvety texture and sprinkle of sweet coconut sensation. Even with our strict college budgets, I promise it is worth the $4.

Read about 10 great health perks of Matcha here.

farmers' market

Photo by Katherine Reed

Mother Clucker

After you warm up a bit, visit the wicked good Wicked Biscuit truck for a little (or a lot) of indulgence. The Mother Clucker epitomizes Southern comfort food. The subtlety of the blue cheese biscuit, the kick of Frank’s Red Hot cream and the crunch of fried chicken create an entirely new, sensual experience. Although it sounds aggressive, the flavors actually complement one another. Go ahead and indulge. And don’t be embarrassed by the hot sauce that will be smeared on the corners of your mouth (think of it as a snack for later).

Want to see more creations? Check out all of their biscuits here.

farmers' market

Photo by Katherine Reed

Salsa Kick Grits

Because I know you can’t be full just quite yet, make a pit stop at Foster’s on the Fly truck for their bowl of grits. It’s almost as if Mexico and the South jumped in the same bowl for breakfast. These classic white cheddar grits are topped with black beans, a fried egg and salsa roja to give it a Mexican spice.

Check out Foster’s website here to see more inspirations.

farmers' market

Photo by Katherine Reed

Ginger Goat Milk Gelato

I am a firm believer that every meal must end with dessert, even if it’s just a little something sweet. This goat milk gelato is a perfect palette cleanser and, if it makes you feel better about yourself, you can even pretend it’s healthy. Jules from the goat cheese stand recommends the ginger flavor—the root’s tang rejuvenates your taste buds, while the texture offers a juxtaposing creamy and icy blend. And if you aren’t feeling as adventurous, they also have classic Chocolate and Vanilla.

Hungry? Learn how to make goat milk ice cream here.

farmers' market

Photo by Katherine Reed

Location: 501 Foster St, Durham, NC 27701

Hours: Wednesday 3:30 – 6:30 pm; Saturday 8 am – 12 pm

Check out these articles about other farmers’ markets: