No one wants to have a date in a dining hall. Or a fast food restaurant for that matter.

If you’re looking to impress that special someone by treating them to a memorable and delicious meal, try these three restaurants. The best part? They’re all within a 15-minute walk from campus, so even if you don’t have a car, you’ll still be able to get there.

The Clay Pit

date spot austin

Photo by Karina Rao

A mere 12 minute walk from campus, The Clay Pit is the perfect date spot for those of you who want to eat some beyond delicious Indian food with a laid back but classy atmosphere. It has low romantic lighting and food that encourages sharing. The Clay Pit has extensive vegetarian options as well as a promising mixed drink menu that offers some interesting twists on classic combinations. If this is your first foray into the wonderful world of Indian food, I’d recommend the vegetable pakora as an appetizer, chicken tikka masala and lamp korma for entrees and some naan to mop up the extra sauce. Additionally, The Clay Pit is a five minute walk away from the Capital–the perfect spot for a post-dinner meandering walk.

average

Hours of Operation: Mon-Fri 11am-2:30 pm, Sat-Sun: 12am-3pm, Sat-Fri: 5pm-10pm, Fri-Sat: 5pm-11pm
Location: 1601 Guadalupe Austin, Texas 78701

Texas French Bread

date spot austin

Photo by Karina Rao

This little gem is a 13 minute walk from campus and has a wicked weekend brunch menu. Texas French Bread was originally opened in 1981 as a bakery. Since then, it has been reinvented into a chic bistro with delicious bread (hence the name), killer desserts and seasonal menus. This restaurant is perfect for a lazy Sunday morning brunch where you’ll eat too many banana walnut pancakes, a sophisticated French-inspired dinner or even for a causal lunch date. Whatever the occasion, this place has got you covered. Still not sold? Peruse the daily menus here.

average

Hours of Operation:  Mon: 7am-5pm; Tues-Thurs: 7am-9:30pm; Fri-Sat: 7am-10pm
Location: 
2900 Rio Grande St. Austin, TX 78705

The Blackbird & Henry

date spot austin

Photo by Karina Rao

Tucked away on the north side of campus, The Blackbird and Henry is modeled after a friendly, but classy, neighborhood tavern. It’s 14 minutes away from campus but the food is well worth the walk. The brainchild of renowned Chef Mark Stephen Schmidt, The Blackbird and Henry features food that is combination of British and Texas inspired dishes for lunch, brunch and dinner. The menus include creations like a garlic and salt rubbed pork loin, black pudding and eggs (for those of you who wished they lived across the pond) and of course, Migas.

average

Hours of Operation: Tues-Thurs: 11am-10pm; Fri-Sat: 11am-11pm; Sun: 11am, 10pm
Location:
 3016 Guadalupe St.  Austin, TX 78705

Whether you’re looking for the perfect first date spot or  a restaurant to commemorate an anniversary or birthday, these three places offer a variety of delicious dishes all within walking distance of campus. So put your shoes on and start walking.

Still need some ideas for dates? Look no further: