So maybe it’s not nearly as cold as it was when we left for break, but these nights in the 30s still call for some deliciously warm dishes to keep you feeling nice and toasty.

1. Pho Grand

The Big Deal:
Pho is traditional Vietnamese soup with noodles, meat, herbs and sauces. The warm broth is sure to heat you up, especially if you add some sriracha for a spicy kick.

What to Order:
Appetizer: Goi Cuon

cold

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

These spring rolls consist of steamed rice paper filled with either tender pork or shrimp, vermicelli noodles and veggies. They are warm and light, which is a nice contrast to most heavy winter foods.

Drink: Cafe Sua Nong

cold

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

This thick French roast coffee is served hot with sweetened condensed milk; it’s the perfect complement to the spicy food.

Entree: Pho Dac Biet

cold

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

This is why you’re here: Pho Grand’s specialty pho. It is a traditional Vietnamese rice noodle soup topped with beef meatballs and brisket. Go hard or go home. Its hot. It’s spicy. It has enough protein to pull you through the day and comes with veggies to lighten it up and add some crunch. Tip: add hoisin sauce to enhance the flavor and some sriracha to spice it up.

2. Comet Coffee

The Big Deal:
On a cold day, there’s nothing better than a steaming cup of hot chocolate and a flakey croissant. Comet Coffee has both and much more. Oh and did I mention it’s super close? It borders Forest Park, making it an ideal study spot. The only downside is probably the price. While pastries, tea and non-coffee beverages are reasonably priced, some coffee options are just too expensive. The coffee here is definitely a specialty beverage, rather than your quick chug of caffeine that needs to be loaded with flavor shots, milk and sugar.

What to Order:

To Drink:
1. Earl Grey Tea: It’s a classic winter tea, a Ceylon blend balanced with orange rind. It has plenty of caffeine to keep you awake and goes perfectly with any pastry you may want. Comet Coffee doesn’t mess with tea bags; the loose leaf, freshly brewed tea here is the real deal.

2. Hot Chocolate

cold

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

One of the best hot chocolates I’ve ever had. The dark chocolate ganache is creamy and perfectly mixed into the steamed milk. And it’s beautiful. ‘Nuff said.

3. Cappuccino

cold

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

Better than Kaldis. Yeah, I said it.

To Eat:
1. Pie of the Day

cold

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

The day I went to Comet Coffee, the “pie” was Tiramisu. It was fantastic, with all the layers of the traditional Italian dish. Definitely try the pie of the day when you go, because you don’t know when or if it’s going to be back.

2. Black Currant and Bourbon Scone

cold

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

Studies show that in cold weather, we crave carbs and sweets. With this scone it’s possible to indulge these cravings while remaining (somewhat) health conscious. Black currants have insane nutritional benefits: they’re low in fat, high in protein and contain good amounts of dietary fiber, manganese and potassium. And…bourbon comes from corn so that counts as healthy too, right? Right.

3. Gokul

cold

Photo by Isabella Neuberg

The Big Deal:
A vegetarian Indian Buffet. On the loop. All you can eat, a short walk from campus. Now we’re talking.

What to Order:

cold

Photo by Julie Rub

It’s a buffet, so go CrAzY. But if you’re focused on health, then try some potatoes and leafy greens. We often look down on potatoes because they are primarily white starch. However, potatoes have significant amounts of vitamin C and B6, great for fighting off the winter cold viruses going around. Look for Saag Paneer (spinach with homemade cheese cubes) and Chana Saag (spinach with chickpeas). Also, keep an eye out for Aloo Began (potatoes and eggplant in curry sauce), Aloo Zuchinni (zucchini in curry sauce) and Aloo Saag (more spinach). Tip: ask for Naan and you will get a basket of warm, buttery, pita-like bread brought to your table at no additional charge. Also make sure to bring your student ID for a $2 discount!

Not hot enough? Check out these links: