It’s common knowledge that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Not only does it give you energy for the rest of your day, but it’s also the first meal you eat to recover from your long night out. From eggs to pancakes to chocolate-drenched waffles, there’s an option for everyone.

Don’t spend your summer inside. Grab your friends and head to one or all of these breakfast havens. Breakfast food, you are the major key.

breakfast

1. Kanela Breakfast Club 

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

You haven’t eaten real #foodporn until you’ve had the s’mores waffle. The waffle doesn’t stop at the traditional s’mores ingredients of chocolate, marshmallows, and graham crackers, but is also layered with Nutella. Try to hold back your drool while thinking about that.

2. Wildberry Pancakes & Cafe

breakfast

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Wildberry has a huge selection of breakfast options, but their popular “Signature Berry Bliss” Pancakes are a must.

3. Over Easy

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

There’s a reason that there is always a wait for this trendy breakfast spot. Over Easy takes your breakfast favorites and adds their own unique and yummy twist. From sassy eggs to banana-spiked french toast, there’s something for every sweet or savory person.

4. Feast

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

Feast lives up to its name by offering some of the best hearty brunch dishes. You will not be disappointed by anything on the menu. They even manage to make a green smoothie taste good.

#SpoonTip: Go for brunch in the summer to take advantage of the outdoor seating. You could spend all morning on their patio in the sun.

5. Homeslice

breakfast

Photo courtesy of Jack McCusker

Adding eggs to a pizza makes it suitable breakfast food, right? Ditch your leftover pizza that’s been sitting in your dorm and go get some fresh cheesy goodness while enjoying Homeslice’s belief in the “shampoo effect.”

6. Southport Grocery and Cafe

breakfast

Photo courtesy of @alili29 on Instagram

The only thing better than going to a gourmet grocery store is eating at one. Southport Grocery and Cafe doesn’t just offer the finest food products, but also the finest hot food. If you eat only one thing, make it the cupcake pancakes. They’re heavenly.

7. Atwood

breakfast

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Nothing beats dining near Millennium Park. Their menu has a wide range of Modern American cuisine. This is a unique place to go if you are stuck in the same breakfast routine.

8. Toast

breakfast

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

There’s nowhere else in Chicago where can you get simple breakfast basics that taste this good.

9. Batter and Berries

breakfast

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Enjoy the endless amount of French toast possibilities. Their French toast flight is a sample of their delicious flavors.

10. Ann Sather

breakfast

Photo courtesy of Jack McCusker

A Chicago staple for the ages. These giant cinnamon rolls will never stop being worth getting your butt out of bed.

11. Bongo Room

breakfast

Photo courtesy of @raefrae on Instagram

If I could only eat one thing for breakfast for the rest of my life, it would be the white chocolate & caramel pretzel pancakes. You might not be able to eat for the rest of the day after having them, but they’re worth every single bite.

12. Sunny Side Up

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

Tired of the typical bacon and eggs? Here you will find skillets and Benedicts with eggceptional flavors.

13. Sweet Maple Cafe

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

The best old-fashioned, homemade breakfast in Chicago. Don’t be deterred by its size or the wait, you won’t find better “sweet milk biscuits” anywhere else.

14. Mindy’s Hot Chocolate

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

Forget about your morning cup of coffee and try their specialty hot chocolates. They are topped with house-made marshmallows that compliment your decadent drink. If you’re feeling extra brave, complement your hot chocolate with bite-size doughnuts.

15. 3 Arts Club Cafe

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

While they only offer a small selection of breakfast food, nothing can beat the atmosphere here. You will not find a prettier place to brunch in Chicago. Do note that it’s still one of the newer places, so try to arrive as early as possible on the weekends to avoid the long wait.

#SpoonTip: Treat yourself for getting up early and order the house-made chocolate chip cookies.

16. Stacked

breakfast

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Yes, you can have dessert for breakfast. As the namesake of this breakfast spot, the pancakes are a must. You can even stack your own by choosing your choice of healthy or sweet toppings.

17. Waffles Cafe

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

Not quite sure how we’ve gotten through life without wonuts for breakfast. The waffle doughnut is a breakfast bucket list must. If doughnuts aren’t your thing, you can’t go wrong with any of their other more traditional menu items.

18. Wishbone

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

This is the spot for hearty breakfast options and lots of outdoor seating. There are options for even the pickiest of eaters. I highly recommend trying the grits.

19. Yolk

breakfast

Photo courtesy of Liah Cichon

Whether you are in the mood for sweet or savory, Yolk has something for everyone. Their 5-egg omelets are for any true breakfast champ.

20. Little Goat Diner

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

Little Goat offers your favorites breakfast meals with a fun twist. From Fat Elvis Waffles to Dark Chocolate Chip Crunch Pancakes to the Sloppy Goat, the food is as great as the names.

21. Oak Tree

breakfast

Photo Courtesy of yelp.com

This is the perfect spot to go to when strolling on the Magnificent Mile. They have a wide variety and serve breakfast all day. Their bakery items are fresh everyday, so make sure to try one of their artisan breads.

22. Bakin & Eggs

breakfast

Photo courtesy of @ellenbauch on Instagram

Add adventure to your breakfast plate by ordering one or more of their unique bacon flavors that include maple pepper, jalapeño, honey, cherry smoked, and mesquite.

23. Stax Cafe

breakfast

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Breakfast is served late into the afternoon at Stax Cafe. You can choose from typical breakfast fare or enjoy one of their more unique options like chocolate chip bacon pancakes or mini egg sandwiches.

24. Sophie’s at Saks Fifth Avenue 

breakfast

Photo by Emily Caldwell

#TreatYoSelf to the Sophie’s experience. Overlooking Michigan Avenue on the 7th floor in Saks Fifth Avenue, Sophie’s gives the traditional brunch a modern and upscale twist.

25. Jam and Honey

breakfast

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Brunchin’ on a budget? No problem. Nothing is over $15 on the menu. Make sure to order slices of toast. They have a large Nutella container sitting on every table along with pots of delicious marmalade and, of course, jam.

26. Summer House Santa Monica

breakfast

Photo courtesy of @unrealeats on Instagram

Escape to the Golden State without leaving Chicagoe and dine under the beach-inspired decor. They have a wide selection of fresh baked pastries. Remember to take one or two of their famous cookies to go (imagine Rice Krispie treats on top of a chocolate chunk cookie).

27. Mercadito

breakfast

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Spice things up with traditional Mexican-inspired dishes.

28. Revival Social Club

breakfast

While known for their monkey bread, the pumpernickel grilled cheese, nutella pancakes, and breakfast burritos also give a tasty spin on favorite breakfast classics.

29. Bar Siena

breakfast

Photo by Jordan Helms

Don’t be fooled by its Italian parent restaurant, Siena Tavern. Bar Siena offers enough sweet and savory brunch options to fulfill your brunch needs. Complete your boozy brunch with one of their many drink options.