If you’ve ever been to St. Andrews you’ll know that on our three small streets we have a surprisingly large number of restaurants and the rumored highest number of pubs per square mile in the UK. This means that there’s something for pretty much everyone food-wise unless you’re looking for sushi or tacos (we students are only a little bit bitter about this). There are a few things though, that are so quintessentially St. Andrews that it would be a crime to go four years without ever experiencing them. Take a look at this list to see the must-eats and must-drinks of the ‘Bubble.’  Fourth years: if you haven’t experienced any of these, now’s the time to add them to your graduation bucket list.

1. Fudge Donut from Fisher & Donaldson, Church Street

St. Andrews

Photo courtesy of Fisher and Donaldson on fisheranddonaldson.com

The F&D fudge donut has already been featured in a Buzzfeed article and trust me, it’s worth trying. It’s apparently got it’s own Wikipedia page and loyal supporters. All that for a donut, you ask? Well, it’s just that good.

2. A BlackHorn Wrap, Church Street

St. Andrews

Photo by Caitlin McCreight

BlackHorn’s wraps are a St. Andrews student-staple for a reason. They’re delicious, inventive, and their constant presence at student events means they’re always there when you need them (especially at 2 a.m. at Starfields or Don’t Walk for a snack that is a bit more health conscious than Dervish).

#Spoontip: If you’re feeling extra daring, ask for a “Stevie Wonder” wrap: it gives the cooks free range to surprise you with their own concoction.

3. Northpoint pancakes, North Street

St. Andrews

Photo by Jane Madden

A staple for any homesick American, the Northpoint pancakes are the closest you’ll get to the ones you’re craving from home.  They also do a North American breakfast for anyone who prefers a more savory option, and some swear by their breakfast burrito.

#Spoontip: If they’re not too busy, you can sometimes get an upgrade and add chocolate chips (#swerve).

4. Ice Cream Cone from Jannetta’s, South Street

St. Andrews

Photo by Jane Madden

It’s impossible to go four years without having at least one cone from Jannetta’s, whether it’s on a sunny day or handed to you at a ball, it’s a must. The best ice cream you’ll ever eat (at least in St Andrews), you can have all your memorable moments here, from birthday ice cream cakes to first dates.

5. Flat White from Taste, North Street

St. Andrews

Photo by Sophie Mitchell

Taste gets a bit crowded during the day, but it makes one of the best cups of coffee around, and definitely has more personality than any other St. Andrews coffee shop.  It’s also the only coffee shop in town that’s stays open until 10pm, so keep it in mind next time you’re hunkering down for a late night at the library.

#Spoontip: Try one of their croissants with your coffee. They’re hands down the best in town.

6. Anything from Little Italy, Logies Lane

St. Andrews

Photo courtesy of @dolcenayeneats on Instagram

There is no wrong answer here; the pasta, the pizza, the desserts, it’s all amazing down to the last shot of limoncello. But do call ahead, as this Italian place doesn’t have much seating (although this should change soon due to renovations) and tends to quickly book up, especially on weekends or if there’s events going on in town.

7. A pint from the St. Andrews Brew Co., South Street

St. Andrews

Photo courtesy of St. Andrews Brewing Co. on standrewsbrewingcompany.com

The St. Andrews Brewery’s signature beers have some interesting names, but are overwhelmingly regarded as one of the best places in town (and popular for people who want a low key night out with friends). Cosy up to the fire, sit down on the welcoming oak colored wooden stools, and play some Scrabble.

#Spoontip: If you’re not a beer person then try the Thistly Cross Cider, it’s life-changing.

8. Chips from the Buffalo Food Truck

St. Andrews

Photo courtesy of The Buffalo Food Truck

The Buffalo Food Truck is a common sight at many of the the balls throughout the year, and nothing can compare to standing outside in Scotland in black tie, eating these delicious chips (because that’s literally so St Andrews).

#Spoontip: They sometimes have truffle mayo as a dip option. It’s amazing.

9. Nachos from the Whey Pat, Bridge Street

St. Andrews

Photo courtesy of @hopefullyhopey on Instagram

The Whey Pat nachos are on most of the food lists for St. Andrews, and I have to admit that it took me until third year to actually taste them. It will not take me three more years to go back, that’s for sure.

10. Cocktails at The Adamson, South Street

St. Andrews

Photo by Caitlin McCreight

The Adamson, while pricey, has by far the most inventive cocktails in town. It’s the perfect place to go for drinks if you’re celebrating something and at the top of the list for places to go when your parents are paying.  Check out this list if you need some inspiration for what to order (but you honestly can’t go wrong).

11. Scone from Gorgeous, Bell Street

St. Andrews

Photo by Sophie Mitchell

The classic here is the Prince of Cambridge (aka blueberry, raspberry, and white chocolate), but every day something new appears in the Gorgeous windows and it’s all delicious, and you can always find something to love.

#Spoontip: Keep your eyes peeled for my personal favorite, the Princess of Cambridge; a champagne, strawberry, dark chocolate scone. It’s heaven.

12. Fish and Chips from Anstruther Fish Bar, Anstruther

St. Andrews

Photo by Emma Rebein

Ok, so this one is not technically in St. Andrews, but Anstruther is hailed as one of the fish and chips capitals of the UK.  It’s also very popular to hike along the Fife Coastal Path from St. Andrews to Anstruther (and that way those fish and chips feel earned).

13. Panini from Rocca Italian Deli, Bell Street

St. Andrews

Photo by Sophie Mitchell

Perfect if you need a quick break from the library, you’ll feel like you’re walking straight into Italy in this gourmet deli. Their paninis are to die for.

14. Brunch at the Balgove Larder Cafe, Strathtyrum Farm

St. Andrews

Photo by Emma Rebein

The Balgove Larder Cafe is the ultimate St. Andrews brunch spot.  Don’t forget to bring a shopping bag, the cafe is connected a farm shop filled with tons of treats that you won’t find on the shelves of Tesco.