Let me tell you all a story. It won’t be too long, I promise. When I was in my first year of college, life was all about exploring new places, discovering good eating joints, and then sharing all this information with your friends. That was the time when one of my friends mentioned Ama Cafe and Majnu Ka Tila to me. “Beautiful ambiance”, “feels like Dharamshala”, and “amazing pancakes” are some fragments I can vaguely recall from that conversation. Anyway, it was enough to pique my interest and I, along with another friend, set out to find this cafe called Ama. The first time we went to MKT, we got lost. Completely lost. Anyone who has been there will know why – those lanes can be difficult to navigate for any MKT novice.

That was when we were almost about to give up but we came back again few days later with someone who knew the way, and I’m glad we did because it was on that day we finally found Ama.

There was that day, and then there’s today (I’m in my third year of college now), and Ama has made a place in my life which no other cafe in Delhi can ever take. Some of the most important moments of my life have been celebrated here, and I’ve brought almost every friend who is special to me to this place. My close friends and I have spent hours here talking about the most significant and most insignificant details of our lives. And that’s how Ama has become like my second home.

So… Here are some reasons why I keep going back to this cafe again and again and again:

Breakfast Menu

Ama can provide you with some really good breakfast options when you don’t feel like attending those early-morning lectures or when you come to college for your first lecture only to find that the teacher isn’t coming (most of us have been through that, right?). Tough luck, hmph. Well, there’s nothing better than Ama to raise your spirits.

1. Pancakes

Ama Cafe

Photo by Sabhyata Badhwar

Ama’s pancakes are to die for. They serve these till around 12 noon only (breakfast menu), but every friend of mine who has woken up early just to try these has admitted that it was worth it.

2. Vegetable Double Cheese Sandwich

Ama Cafe

Photo courtesy of @indie_biryani on Instagram

This is one of the best and safest breakfast options for you if you’re a vegetarian. It is filling and refreshing – the perfect note for you to start your day on.

3. Spinach and Mushroom Omelette

Ama Cafe

Photo by Aakanksha Joshi

A good and filling blend of eggs and vegetables. A must-try for all those who love omelette and its various varieties.

Shakes

All right, I’ll make a confession first. Just a heads-up here: I’m a die-hard lover of any kind of cold coffee and am pretty fond of milkshakes too, and that’s what both my recommendations revolve around. I’ve heard that Ama serves really good teas as well, but I’ve never tried them so I can’t say. You should definitely go ahead and try those too.

1. Ice Blended Hazelnut Latte

Ama Cafe

Photo by Aakanksha Joshi

If you’re looking for a light version of coffee, this is the drink to go for.

2. Oreo Krushers

Ama Cafe

Photo by Aakanksha Joshi

I have only one word for this: rich. This is one of the best Oreo shakes I’ve had.

Desserts

Almost all of their desserts are to die for. When you’re not in the mood to eat any of the desserts, you can always just look at them (and drool, obviously). That can be quite satisfying in itself. If you want to try them, listed below are some recommendations:

1. Tiramisu

Ama Cafe

Photo courtesy of @sodelhi/@darksols on Instagram

Ama is famous for its Tiramisu, which is indeed a delightful delicacy. I think this picture speaks for itself (and for the dish).

2. Mud Cake

Ama Cafe

Photo by Aakanksha Joshi

This is a sheer delight for all chocolate lovers out there. The cake in itself is just the right amount of soft and chocolaty, and topped with chocolate sauce, it makes for a perfect dessert.

3. Blue Berry Cheese Cake

Ama Cafe

Photo by Nilakshi Basumatary

The thought of this made me drool, so you can imagine how good this must be. This is another one of their famous desserts.

4. Red Velvet Cheese Cake

Ama Cafe

Photo by Aakanksha Joshi

Served warm, this is a must-try for all those who like red velvet. And as you can see, it’s #Instaworthy as well.

Some Other Features That Make Ama Great

1. The Beautiful, Cozy and Relaxing Ambiance

Ama Cafe

Photo by Aakanksha Joshi

The environment, the crowd, the books – all these elements combine together to make this cafe a perfect place to chill. You can relax on a couch and read the books they have on the shelves, work on your laptop with the free WiFi, or just eat, chat and let your hair down.

2. No Time Limit

Ama Cafe

Photo by Aakanksha Joshi

You and your friends won’t get kicked out or be given nasty looks if you sit and chat there for hours. Four-five hours there is my personal tried-and-tested limit.

3. Pocket-Friendly Prices

Ama Cafe

Photo by Sabhyata Badhwar

Well, broke college foodies need somewhere to go. Ama is a good option. No, in fact, Ama is a great option! You might find the shakes slightly expensive, but then hey, I think they’re a great accompaniment to your meal and their quantity is totally worth the price.