Leaving New York was a big deal for me and not just because it is where I grew up, and where my family still is, but also because it is the food Mecca of the world. When I debated leaving a city like New York, I without a doubt pondered, heavily considered and made a pros and con’s list ala Jane the Virgin. Heavy on the cons side were all the foodie things I would have to give up: pizza, bagels, Chinese food, Halal street meat, breakfast & hero sandwiches from corner street bodegas, and to die for pastrami on rye.

While LA is no slouch in the food scene and has some good Chinese food, tasty pizza places, and decent bagels (now that Maury’s Bagels is a regular at the newly opened Smorgasbord LA), there is still no Katz Deli here. Where was I to go to satisfy my pastrami cravings? Enter Langer’s Deli and 11 reasons why you NEED it in your life.

1. Pastrami on Rye

Pastrami

Photo by Jessi Jordan

I have found my soulmate and it is Langer’s Deli pastrami. Their pastrami on rye sandwich is made with the most tender and moist pastrami ever. After the pastrami steams for 4 hours, it is hand cut by one of the only four people in the entire world who know how (using a very specific technique). It is then served on warm freshly baked rye bread. This sandwich is to die for. No, wait, it’s to LIVE for. Add a smear of golden mustard and enjoy a little bite of heaven on earth.

2. The #19

Pastrami

Photo by Jessi Jordan

#19 has been written about hundreds of times over the last 70 years, and with just one bite, you will understand why. They take their famous pastrami on fresh baked rye, add their house-made Russian dressing, then their house-made coleslaw with a couple slices of Swiss cheese to create: a plate of love.

3. Cream Soda

Pastrami

Photo courtesy of crushable.com

I nearly orgasmed ala Meg Ryan in “When Harry Met Sally” when I heard they had cream soda at Langer’s Deli. Seriously, I’m not kidding. It is delicious and has been made the same way for the last 70 years; with pure vanilla syrup and soda water.

4. Roast Beef French Dip

Pastrami

Photo courtesy of crushable.com

Roast beef, warm French baguette and a side of au jus = delicious. Enough said.

5. Strawberry Cheesecake

Pastrami

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Who doesn’t love cheesecake? Like for real I want names. Langer’s Deli makes all of their desserts from scratch and this fresh strawberry cheesecake is the best cheesecake that I have ever tasted. It was delicious, smooth, lightly sweetened and creamy. What more can you ask for?

6. Corned Beef

Pastrami

Photo courtesy of langersdeli.com

You can’t forget Langer’s Deli corned beef. Their corned beef is probably the BEST corned beef since the invention of corned beef. It is second only to their pastrami.

7. French Fries

Pastrami

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Langer’s Deli french fries are amazing. You can get them plain or topped with chili, cheese, and pastrami. It’s sooo worth trying.

8. Open Faced Beef Brisket

Pastrami

Photo by Jessi Jordan

Their Open Faced Beef Brisket tastes like sex on a French baguette smothered in gravy. Just look at all that goodness.

9. 2001 James Beard Award Winner

Pastrami

Photo courtesy of langersdeli.com

Langer’s Deli even won the 2011 James Beard Award. Yep the food here is THAT DAMN GOOD. What else is there to say?

10. Family Owned for 70 years

Pastrami

Photo courtesy of langersdeli.com

Family owned means love, attention to detail, pride and most of all passion passed down through generations. Lineage like that maintains the authenticity that makes Langer’s Deli such an inviting and delicious destination for all. Don’t believe me? Walk into any corporate owned deli and see if you get anything as tasty or true to this deli’s tradition.

11. The Ambiance

Pastrami

Photo courtesy of langers deli on facebook.com

I love the energy here. It is lively, bustling and feels like a trip back in time to a place where everyone knows everyone by name. A place where young and old alike converge together to share a home cooked meal.

Pastrami

Photo courtesy of langersdeli.com

Langer’s Deli reminds me of simpler times. It reminds me that life is a journey. Langer’s Deli has managed to adapt to the ever changing world around them while sticking to the values of quality that we hold dear. It’s a place that reminds me to slow down. That it’s okay to be nostalgic and reflect on where you’ve come from, while looking forward, and enjoying every delicious bite along the way.

Watch Langer’s Deli Behind The Scenes Below