The small town of Gloucester is America’s oldest seaport and is home to some amazing eats, especially seafood. Townies and tourists alike can agree these are some of the best foods to get in one of the best beach towns around.

St. Joseph’s Sandwich – Virgilio’s

Gloucester

Photo Courtesy of goodmorninggloucester.org

Served on a fresh St. Joseph’s roll that are baked each morning, this classic italian sub is to-die-for. Stacked high with deli meats and any additions you like, this makes for the perfect sandwich to bring to Good Harbor Beach on a hot day.

Frozen Yogurt – Cafe Bishco

Gloucester

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

A favorite spot for people of all ages but mainly students is this small cafe on Main Street. They are known for their amazing sandwiches and salads, but nothing beats their customizable frozen yogurt. You can start with a base of chocolate, vanilla, sugar free or tofu and mix in as many additives as you’d like. We all know that froyo is way better than ice cream because at least we feel healthy!

Fried Clams – Seaport Grille

Gloucester

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

It would be a shame if a town by the water wasn’t able to deliver some fresh fried clams. The Seaport Grille, among many other restaurants in Gloucester, serve a huge plate of these beautiful clams. Fried to perfection and dipped in tartar sauce, theres nothing better…except the view of the water that you can admire while you’re eating.

Italian Pastries – Caffe Sicilia

Gloucester

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Gloucester culture is heavily influenced by Italian cuisine, so of course we have some decadent sweet treats. This little cafe on Main Street has everything from cookies and cakes, to coffee and authentic gelato. If you’re going to stop by Gloucester, you are going to have to pick up a cannoli that rival those of the North End of Boston.

Truffle Fries – The Franklin Cape Ann

Gloucester

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

If you are looking to enjoy something decadent for dinner this is the place to go. Every single time I go home on break I have to get these thin and crispy fries that are drizzled with truffle oil and cheese. A side of these is very affordable but they taste much better paired with some steak. “Treat yo-self.”

Breakfast Sandwiches – Cape Ann Coffees

Gloucester

Photo courtesy of capeanncoffees.com

Whether you’re on the way to the beach or just on a back shore cruise, Cape Ann Coffees or “CAC” is one of the best places to pick up a breakfast sandwich. They are always hot, fresh and are filled with whatever your heart desires.

New England Clam Chowder – The Causeway

Gloucester

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

New England is famous for their clam chowder so when coming through Gloucester, you definitely need to get some. This one is packed full of seafood, is super creamy and is perfect for both summer and winter seasons alike. Did you even visit New England if you didn’t have any clam chowder?

Pizza – Sebastian’s Pizza

Gloucester

Photo courtesy of goodmorninggloucester.wordpress.com

This is one of the cheesiest and tastiest pizzas you can get in town. The sauce is sweet and the toppings are plentiful. There is nothing better than getting a hot and fresh pizza delivered straight to the beach. Just another perk of living in Gloucester.

Fish Sandwich – The Cupboard

Gloucester

Photo courtesy of foodspotting.com

Its not as easy as you’d think to make a great fish sandwich, but this place does it right. Located in Stage Fort Park, it is a perfect place to go for a day to hang out at the park, go to the beach, and get a spectacular view of the water. These sandwiches are classic, affordable and fried to perfection.

Chocolate Turtles – Turtle Alley

Gloucester

Photo courtesy of nshoremag.com

If you’ve never had a chocolate turtle, you are definitely missing out. The are delicious chocolate candies are filled with nuts and thick caramel. These rich little treats are perfect to snack on as you walk downtown. They come in a variety of both classic and adventurous flavors that fit anyone’s personalities.

Baked Haddock Dinner – The Gloucester House

Gloucester

Photo courtesy of yelp.com

Everyone in Gloucester has their own way of making this dish. When we have some of the freshest seafood in the country, so who would want to eat anything else? This baked haddock dinner is one that all the locals would approve of. Savory fresh haddock with a buttery topping is a must-have when coming to Gloucester.

If you get the chance to visit Gloucester this summer, you should definitely try these places. What’s better than enjoying the beach while you’re munching down on some delicious, fresh food? There’s something for everyone in this pretty town, so be sure to visit.