I've lived in New York City my entire life, yet it wasn't until this year that I found out some of the most authentic Mexican restaurants are just a subway stop away. Whether you're an NYC native, first time visitor, nacho aficionado, or just interested in trying new foods, you need to check these restaurants out as if your life depended on it. These 11 places serve some of the best nachos in NYC and are worth visiting whether no matter the season.

1. Coppelia

Coppelia is one of the best places to go if you want seriously mouthwatering nachos and a classic NYC 24-hour diner all in one. Their most famous nachos are thickly cut chips covered in melted gouda cheese, jalapeños, and guacamole. The deep pool of gooey Muenster cheese on the bottom is a bonus surprise that makes these nachos even better.

2. Cowgirl Seahorse

Cowgirl Seahorse should be your go-to if you're all about having as many toppings as possible. Hand-cut nachos topped with black beans, chicken breast, grilled shrimp, sour cream, fresh guacamole, and more is exactly what you get when you order this dish. It's called The Hurricane for good reason; it's flavor is nearly a force of nature, and it's a jumbo combination of all of their classics.

3. El Vez

El Vez is known to be the "it" spot for people who want to experience authentic Mexican food in the city. The unique flat, pizza-looking platter helps evenly coat the crunchy chips with jalapeños, melty cheese, and fresh tomatoes. These nachos are the golden standard that are sure to satisfy any and all appetites.

4. Calexico

These drool-worthy nachos can be found at a main location uptown or at food carts in downtown. Calexico's homemade chips are covered with tangy cheese sauce, fresh sweet corn, black beans, pico de gallo, and a scoop of guacamole. For on-the-go eaters, stop by one of Calexico's food trucks to get your nacho fix in a pinch.

5. La Contenta

La Contenta, just like El Vez, is one of the most authentic restaurants you can find in New York City. With their abundant offers of traditional Mexican fare, it's no surprise that some of the most indescribably flavorful nachos can be found here. Their thinly cut tortilla chips are drizzled with pico de gallo, cheddar and Monterey cheeses, and topped with black beans. Simple and understated, yet delicious.

6. Taqueria Diana

Don't be fooled by Taqueria Diana's plain ensemble of a tin pan because the flavors are anything but. The base starts off with tortilla chips that get smothered in black beans, fresh guacamole, melted cheese, and a drizzle of crema. Located at the crossroads of Gramercy Park, Noho, and the East Village, this eatery is a prime example of a hole in the wall well worth experiencing. 

7. El Toro Blanco

El Toro Blanco's lively atmosphere, carefully crafted dishes, and made-to-order guacamole all combine to credit it as one of the best places to get nachos in New York City. The chips are served with flavorful pinto beans, melt in your mouth oaxaca and cheddar cheeses, pickled jalapeños, and traditional pico de gallo. The textures and flavors are incredibly balanced, yet each shine in their own way.

8. Javelina Tex Mex

Simply put, Javelina will make your NYC dinner one to remember. Just imagine crunching through corn tortilla chips, fresh guacamole, pickled jalapeños, pico de gallo, and sour cream. I can't think of a better way to satisfy a grumbling stomach.

9. Empellón Al Pastor

Empellón Al Pastor's ooey-gooey nachos are sure to make your weekdays brighter and give your weekends an extra dose of fun. A new addition to their menu, their classic thin tortilla chips are coated in a fresh salsa, queso fresco, raw white onion, and a sizzling fried egg. The addition of the egg isn't traditional but fits in seamlessly with the rest of the components of the dish. A must-try meal, for sure. 

10. Taco Chulo

Taco Chulo is known for many things: their homemade tortillas, house cocktails, and of course, delicious nachos. Here you'll find a plate of warm tortilla chips with pickled jalapeño, refried pinto beans, thinly sliced tangy radish, and chile con queso. At Taco Chulo, everything is always fresh and of the highest quality, all the way from their guac to their meat.

11. El Atoradero

While El Atoradero is actually located in Prospect Heights, Brooklyn, the trek is well worth it. Along with an array of well-beloved staples, El Atoradero frequently rotates their menu so you're always in for a surprise. Nevertheless, their staple nachos consist of thick chips coated with fresh beans and chorizo, resting on a layer of a cheese and crema. This restaurant may be last on the list, but it's certainly not the least.

Without a doubt, New York City is home to some of the best authentic Mexican restaurants. An avocado shortage is not planned to hit the city anytime soon, so you can rest assured that these places will continue to serve the most high quality nachos in the city.