Let’s be real: some lunches can be boring. There are some days when a turkey and cheese just won’t cut it and you need something a bit more satisfying. Fortunately, Boone has plenty of great options that are both delicious and won’t break the bank. Here’s a list of some of the best lunches Boone has to offer that’ll keep both your stomach and your wallet full.

1. Comeback Style Cheeseburger: Come Back Shack

lunches

Photo by Ellie Zumstein

A true Boone staple, Come Back Shack is the place to go when you’re craving some specialty fries or a loaded local burger. They have plenty of other sandwich options, but the Come Back Style burger is smothered with their amazing Come Back Sauce that most Boonies could probably take a shot of. Don’t forget to add on an order of their signature fries and freshly made lemonade.

Price: $9

2. Lunch Special #8: Los Arcoiris

lunches

Photo courtesy of losarcoiris.com

The Los and Dos debate has been raging throughout Boone for years and even though I still don’t have a firm stance on the issue (I was always a Cilantro’s kind of girl), Los’s Special #8 has always come through. It comes with one taco loaded with cheese and beef, a chille relleno, and enough rice and beans to fill a swimming pool. You can never go wrong with Mexican food.

Price: $5.25

3. Apple Walnut Salad: Our Daily Bread 

lunches

Photo by Abby Humphries

Now, I know what you’re thinking: salads aren’t exactly satisfying, but trust me on this one. ODB hardly ever disappoints, and this salad is no exception. Covered with bleu cheese, candied walnuts, and plenty of thin, fresh apples, this salad is full of awesome flavors that are accentuated with a bomb balsamic dressing. And, of course, no ODB meal is complete without some bread, so don’t even think about substituting the baguette on the side.

Price: $8.25

4. Sheperds Pie: Wild Craft Eatery 

lunches

Photo courtesy of roadtrippers.com

Don’t let the name change scare you; even though Hob Knob is now Wild Craft Eatery, they’re still serving up delicious, locally grown food and making some of their signature recipes. Shepherds pie is a classic comfort food, but Wild Craft has given it a Southern spin. Made with biscuits, rosemary mushroom gravy, and plenty of veggies, this lunch is certain to keep you full and relaxed after a long day of classes.

Price: $9

5. Roasted Turkey Sandwich: Proper

lunches

Photo courtesy of downtownboone.com

Proper is mostly known for their rotating selection of Southern classics, so their sandwich options are sometimes overlooked. However, this is one sandwich you won’t want to miss out on. Made with roast turkey and cheddar cheese, this sandwich is also topped with Granny Smith applies and a unique pecan aioli. It also comes with a choice of one of Proper’s awesome sides (#SpoonTip: Definitely try their homemade mac and cheese). 

Price: $9

6. Pasta Bowl: Cafe Portofino

lunches

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

Who doesn’t love pasta, am I right? Cafe Portofino is home to plenty of awesome Italian options, but the lunch menu offers a daily special from 11:30-3:00. You get the choice of one of their pasta options, as well as garlic knots. From spaghetti to adult mac and cheese to angel hair pasta, there’s plenty of pasta and sauce combinations to ease any Italian craving.

Price: $4.95

7. 10 Buffalo Wings: Murphy’s

lunches

Photo courtesy of murphysboone.com

Everyone in Boone knows that Murphy’s has some of the best wings in town, but usually only enjoy them on 45 cent wing nights on Mondays. However, even on a regular day, these wings are to die for and won’t make your wallet keel over. Besides the classic buffalo flavor, Murphy’s also offers plenty of unique sauces such as blueberry chipotle barbeque and mango habenero.

Price: $7.95

8. Jamaican Sandwich: Melanie’s

lunches

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

Here in Boone we’re all about our local food and healthy options, and Melanie’s is the perfect place to find that. Their Jamaican sandwich is topped with a fried egg and cheddar cheese. And if that didn’t sound good enough, it’s also loaded with spicy Jamaican slaw and comes on a freshly baked Stick Boy Bread Company roll. In case we haven’t made it clear already, all of their food is locally grown, so you know that this is one sandwich you won’t want to miss.

Price: $8

9. Sassy Turkey Sandwich: Stick Boy Kitchen

lunches

Photo courtesy of tripadvisor.com

Kick your turkey sandwich up a notch with this fresh take on a lunch classic. Stick Boy Kitchen is always trying new things and introducing new combinations to their menu, and this sandwich became an instant favorite for many locals. Smothered in jalapeno cream cheese and tomato basil pasto, this sandwich also features (you guessed it) organic spinach and red onion. And, of course, it’s all on a house-made loaf of Stick Boy’s famous French Bread.

Price: $7.79

10. Lentil Burger: The Local 

lunches

Photo courtesy of thelocalboone.com

The Local is one of the best bars to hit on the weekends in Boone, but they also have a full lunch and dinner menu that’s brimming with awesome choices. Their lentil burger is made by hand and is filled with lentils and plenty of other mouthwatering vegetables. It also comes with avocado and a roasted red pepper vinaigrette, and is served on a soft potato brioche bun.