Not only is NYC one of the biggest cities in world, but it's also one of the most expensive. Between hotels, flights, and window shopping, there's not much left in your budget for dining. As a native New Yorker, I know better than anyone how expensive the city can get. I've tried to frequent more reasonably priced restaurants, and have found that good food doesn't have to be expensive. If you're also on a tight budget, definitely check out NYC's diner scene for better priced, filling meals. Here are the 10 best diners in NYC to hit up if you're on a budget.

1. Joe Jr. Restaurant

Joe Jr. Restaurant is your typical hometown diner. It's not fancy and there are definitely no frills, but what Joe Jr. does have is great food. If you find yourself on 3rd Avenue by Gramercy Park, give the burger a try. Although it's simple, the meat is fresh, juicy, and tasty. Pair your burger with some fries or onion rings for the perfect meal.

Location: 167 3rd Ave

2. Squire's Diner

Located near South Street Seaport and Pace University, Squire's Diner offers good food at good prices. Open breakfast through dinner, they offer many options that will satisfy even picky eaters. Try the fluffy pancakes or the omelettes if you find yourself at Squire's around breakfast, or the chicken pot pie for dinner.

Location: 80 Beekman St # 1

3. Johny's Luncheonette

This diner is so beloved by locals that they fear of word of it getting out to tourists. Many even call Johny's Luncheonette a hole in the wall. Locals recommend the potatoes and bacons for breakfast and some even call their Philly cheesesteak the best in the city. This small diner definitely gets busy, so try to visit Johny's during off-peak hours.

Location: 124 W 25th St

4. Tribeca's Kitchen

If you're looking for a more upscale diner experience, then Tribeca's Kitchen is definitely for you. Tribeca's offers something for everyone, including different kinds of omelettes for breakfast, a variety of soups for lunch, and sandwiches and soups for dinner. Their presentation is impeccable and their food tastes even better. 

Location: 200 Church St

5. Empire Diner

Empire Diner is a modern take on an old school diner. It's worth trekking to Chelsea to try Empire breakfast. The omelettes offer unique flavors with a homey feel. If you're extra hungry, give the breakfast platter a try. It includes toast, potato wedges, eggs, and bacon and is sure to fill you up.

Location: 210 10th Ave

6. Times Square Diner

Walking through crowds and visiting various tourists attractions in Times Square is sure to make you hungry and when it does, visit Times Square Diner. Times Square Diner is located in the heart of Times Square and is known as not only a great diner, but also a great late night spot. The Nutella stuffed French toast and the chicken tenders are fan favorites. 

Location: 807 8th Ave

7. The Comfort Diner

If you plan to visit the Chrysler Building while in the city, definitely make it a point visit the Comfort Diner after. The Comfort Diner is a classic '50s-style diner offering classic diner food. Locals love their breakfast options and rave about their eggs and the breakfast burrito. The soups and sandwiches offered throughout the rest of the day are also worth a try.

Location: 214 E 45th St

8. Friedman's

Located near Penn Plaza, Friedman's is soon to become one of your favorite places to get an overstuffed pastrami sandwich. Even if classic New York pastrami is not your thing, Friedman's offers chicken and waffles, avocado toast, and many other items. This spot is definitely worth visiting for breakfast, brunch, or lunch.

Location: 132 W 31st St

9. Remedy Diner

Although Remedy Diner is open throughout the day and serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner, locals love Remedy for their late-night options. They offer all of your favorite fried foods including mozzarella sticks, French fries, and onion rings as well as burgers. Open 24/7, Remedy is perfect no matter how late your NYC adventures are.

Location: 245 E Houston St

10. Washington Square Diner

Washington Square Diner is perfect for anyone who loves diners. The decor and the music will transport you to a time when diners ruled NYC. The grilled cheese and chicken tenders are perfect for a late night snack and the challah French toast is sure to warm you up on cold city days. Washington Square Diner is also known for their quick service, if you're in a rush.

Location: 150 West 4th Street

Eating on a budget in one of the most expensive cities in the world may seem like a challenge, but the sheer amount of diners in NYC makes this easy! No matter where you choose to dine, you're sure to be satisfied if you choose one of the diners from this list.