It can be very hard to tell if those delicious looking ears of corn on the cob you see at the supermarket are as nature intended them to be or if they are a genetically modified organisms, AKA GMOs. Today, a majority of the produce you buy in stores has been genetically modified, and a lot of people really don’t like that. Luckily, the state of Vermont is the first to create a law (Act 120 enacted in 2014) that requires labels on products containing genetically engineered ingredients. This law took effect July 1, 2016.

Vermont

Four trade associations including Grocery Manufacturers Association (GMA) filed a lawsuit in federal court challenging the Vermont state labeling law as unconstitutional. Dudes, why don’t you want us to know what is in our food?! #justsaying

Despite the pending lawsuit, the law remains active in Vermont and adherence is mandatory. Although the law is only applicable within the state, Congress is working on and trying to pass federal laws as well.

Vermont

In the meanwhile, the good news for the rest of us in other states is that instead of just changing the food labels just for Vermont, many food manufacturers like Kellogg’s and General Mills are changing their food labels on all their products nationwide.

Vermont

Way to go, Vermont.