If you are anything like me, you love to spend endless hours on TikTok looking at the latest internet drama. And the most recent scandal taking over the app is all about a cake. If you haven’t heard about it yet, here is everything you need to know about #CakeGate: a dispute between a cake decorator and customer over a birthday cake.  

How did #CateGate start?

On April 7, 2023, West Virginian cake decorator Kylie Allen (@kylieraeallen) uploaded a video onto TikTok about how she had the “worst client experience [she’s] ever had.” In the video, Kylie claims the customer ordered one of her six-layer signature rainbow cakes with the words “Happy Birthday Trilby” written on the top for $75.99. The cake is eight inches in diameter and serves up to 18 people. She then states that the customer was unaware the cake would be covered in sprinkles, was rude about the price of the cake, and then bashed her on her Facebook page.

How did the customer react? 

In retaliation, the customer, Ashleigh Freeman (@afreebird), posted a now deleted TikTok video showing a video of the cake, claiming it was $83. The cake is covered in uneven sprinkles, the words “Happy Birthday Trilby” are messily written in black icing, and the layer of buttercream beneath the writing is smudged.

Another video uploaded on 4/11 responds to a comment asking why she deleted the first cake video. On top of photos of the cake and screenshots of direct messages between Kylie and Ashleigh, Ashleigh writes:

“I am an idiot. I didn’t want to ruin her business, tried to squash the beef and she said no. She wants to be TikTok famous, not a bad idea. But I can actually make decent content.”

According to the screenshots, Kylie expressed that she is “not sure where the confusion was” and restates the cake pricing. Ashleigh then says “Look at it. That’s the problem.” and sends a photo back with the photo of the cake.

Then, on 4/12 Ashleigh uploaded a video showcasing a homemade cake she made for her mother, Trilby, with similar decorations to the one Kylie made. The caption says “The cake TRILBY deserved.”

How has the internet responded?

The conflict has gone viral, with the public overwhelmingly taking Ashleigh’s side. Under the hashtag “CakeGate,” you can find endless commentary on the conflict. Many professional and amateur cake decorators have taken to making their own “Happy Birthday Trilby” and rainbow layer cakes for fun. Others have provided commentary on screenshots of other cakes Kylie has made, accusing them of being ugly.

One TikToker, @mrpablitoe, weighed in on the situation at the end of a video he posted recapping the drama. He says “Nobody would post this type of work and charge $300, $80, anything over $45 for these [cakes].”

While there are dozens of comments, videos, stitches, talking about the issue, one thing is undeniable: everyone is talking about #CakeGate. What do you think?