Good news: you no longer HAVE to stay away from fats when it comes to weight loss. “FATwater” is now flying off the shelves all across the country and apparently it’s really good for you. This oxymoronic drink is a bottle of purified water mixed with fat and a sweetener and comes in various refreshing flavors.

water

Photo courtesy of fatwater.com

The emergence of FATwater closely followed the popularity of Bulletproof coffee, a trend where people infuse normal coffee with different types of butters and oils, in hopes of weight loss. FATwater was actually created by Dave Asprey, the same guy who lead the Bulletproof coffee craze.

He makes FATwater through a process similar to one used to make bulletproof coffee. Purified water is infused with drops of “Bulletproof XCT Oil,” which is made of a blend of medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) that originate from coconut oil.

FATwater is actually commonly used in hopes of weight loss, despite the misleading name. Just like Bulletproof coffee, the fats in FATwater are known to encourage your body to burn fat, rather than store it, by following a special metabolic pathway. Additionally, the fats in the water help bring water into your cells more effectively than if you were drinking plain water, thus keeping you hydrated.

water

Photo courtesy of fatwater.com

A lot of research has been conducted to find out whether the benefits of FATwater and other similar drinks are real or just fool’s gold. When it comes to weight loss, drinks with MCTs are beneficial since the fats are immediately burned off, rather than stored. However, it has not been proven that they are any more hydrating than plain water.

What the FATwater craze is boiling down to is that water is just fine when it comes to hydration and there are a lot of ways to get energy for your body. However, if you are bored of plain water and have $3.95 to spend on a bottle of FATwater, you should definitely broaden your libation horizons.