Spoon University Logo
News

‘The Bear’ Wins Big At The 76th Primetime Emmy Awards

The 76th Primetime Emmy Awards took place on Sunday, September 15. The Emmy Awards covered various shows between June 1, 2023, and May 31, 2024, with many shows receiving multiple nominations. But three shows received over 20 nominations: FX’s Shōgun received 25 nominations, Hulu’s Only Murders in the Building with 21 nominations, and FX’s The Bear with 23 nominations. The latter made headlines with its total nominations earlier this summer, surpassing 30 Rock’s 15-year-long-standing record of 22 nominations. Of those 23 nominations, The Bear won 11 awards.

Jeremy Allen White, who plays Carmen Berzatto, won the Emmy for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series award for the episode titled “The Bear.” This was White’s second time winning the award after winning it for the first time at the 2023 Primetime Emmy Awards. White would say the show changed his life and “instilled a faith that change is possible. If you’re able to reach out, you’re really truly never actually alone.”

Ebon Moss-Bachrach, who plays restaurant manager Richie Jerimovich, also won his second Emmy award with Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series for the episode titled “Forks.” Like White, Moss-Bachrach won this award for the first time at the 2023 Primetime Emmy Awards. Moss-Bachrach would call the cast of the show “a beautiful family,” in his acceptance speech. Moss-Bachrach beat fellow cast mate Lionel Boyce, the actor of pastry chef Marcus Brooks, who was nominated for the award for his performance in the episode titled “Honeydew.”

Liza Colón-Zayas, who plays line cook Tina Marrero, won her first Emmy and made history by being the first Latina actress to win the Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series award for the episode titled, “Pops.”

@buzzfeeduk

This is everything WOW! What an amazing speech for an even more amazing actress!! 🥲👏🏻 #TheBear #lizacolonzayas

♬ original sound – BuzzFeed UK

“To all the Latinas who are looking at me, keep believing and vote. Vote for your rights,” Colón-Zayas said in her speech.

Director Christopher Storer took home the Emmy for Outstanding Directing in a Comedy Series for the episode of the series titled “Fishes.” Storer beat actor and director Ramy Youssef, who was nominated for his direction in the episode of The Bear titled “Honeydew.”

The Bear also took home both wins in the Outstanding Guest Actor/Actress in a Comedy Series award in the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards with Jon Bernthal and Jamie Lee Curtis respectively. Other awards won at the Primetime Creative Arts Emmy Awards include Outstanding Cinematography for a Single-Camera Series (Half-Hour), Outstanding Picture Editing for a Single-Camera Comedy-Series, Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation, Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (Half-Hour) and Animation, and Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series.

This year’s wins at the Emmys was a new record for The Bear. The FX show’s 11 wins broke the show’s already-set record from 2023 of 10 Emmy wins.

Hunter Johnstone is a national writer for Spoon University, covering a variety of topics such as food news, trends, and entertainment. Outside of Her Campus and Spoon University, Hunter works as a News Reporter for The Eastern Echo, Eastern Michigan University’s school paper which also happens to be the only newspaper in the Ypsilanti area. She also has written for The Odyssey Online’s response writers program, reporting on a range of topics in entertainment from movies and music to book reviews. Hunter also interned at Groundcover News as a deputy editor. She is currently a senior at Eastern Michigan University, majoring in Media Studies and Journalism with a minor in Creative Writing. In her free time, Hunter enjoys reading, writing stories, watching her favorite movies, and listening to her favorite music and podcasts. She is a self-proclaimed horror nerd and loves to have a good movie marathon or watch party with her friends, no matter what the quality of the film. If there is one thing that she loves more than anything, it is a good time spent with her family or with her friends.