Spoon University Logo
tacobelldecadesreturn?width=734&height=489&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
tacobelldecadesreturn?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
News

Taco Bell Might Bring Back Fan-Favorite Retired Menu Items — Including The Meximelt

Since the first Taco Bell opened in California in 1962, the fast food restaurant has made a name for itself as a premier drunchies establishment thanks to its budget-friendly, fun twists on classic Mexican dishes. From the iconic Crunchwrap Supreme to Baja Blast and every Doritos Locos taco in between, T-Bell has provided a range of items that’s spicy, iconic, and consistently delicious. Luckily, we might get to go back to the future, because the restaurant is bringing back some of its faces throughout the decade. 

According to @markie_devo on Instagram, who has accurately predicted Starbucks and Dunkin’ seasonal menus, the Taco Bell “Through the Decades” menu will be available beginning October 31 — and it’s chock-full of beloved items that have made an appearance on — and defined — the Taco Bell menu over the last six decades.

What is on the Taco Bell Decades Menu?

The world arguably became a better place in 1962, and the chain might be honoring the 1960s with the return of the Tostada. The Tostada was one of Taco Bell’s original menu items when it opened its first location in 1962, and the reprise will likely be comprised of a crispy corn tostada shell, layered with savory refried beans, tangy red sauce, crispy lettuce and shredded cheese for $2.19. 

Next up, the 1970s, and nothing hit quite like a Green Burrito after a long night at the disco (well, I’m guessing). This luscious burrito will likely run you just $2.49 and be filled with savory refried beans, crunchy onions, shredded cheddar cheese, plus a green sauce made with green chili, tomatillos, jalapeno peppers and spices, which added major spice to the 70s.

Arguably one of the most iconic Taco Bell menu items — which has fans frequently begging for a return — is the Meximelt. This legendary ’80s fave is made with freshly prepared daily pico de gallo, a blend of three cheeses (mozzarella, cheddar and Monterey Jack), all melted with craveable seasoned beef in a tortilla for $2.99. 

Beyond classic TV shows and Y2K fashion, ’90s kids remember the Beef Gordita Supreme, which is hopefully making its comeback for $2.99. This pillowy warm flatbread is filled with savory seasoned beef, cool reduced-fat sour cream, crisp lettuce, blend of three cheeses (mozzarella, cheddar, and monterey jack) and topped with diced tomatoes.

Last but not least, Taco Bell superfans will get special access to the 2000s menu item: the Caramel Apple Empanada. This golden-brown empanada with a crispy exterior filled with apple pieces and a flavorful creamy filling with caramel notes is available starting November 21 for just $2.99 for Loyalty and app Members only.

When is the Taco Bell Decades Menu available? 

This menu will most likely go down at Taco Bell locations nationwide on October 31, and the Caramel Apple Empanada November 21. Plus, the update includes collectable medium size cups available when the menu drops (limited one per meal, with five different variations). Unfortunately, though, the Taco Bell dog isn’t making a return. RIP.

Kennedy Dierks is a National Contributor at Spoon University, and chapter president of Spoon at Seton Hall University in New Jersey. She covers all things food and has a soft spot for pop-culture moments, product launches, and the occasional cocktail. Beyond Her Campus, Kennedy plans to pursue medicine and currently works as a medical assistant and clinical researcher. She has written for Teen Vogue, ABC News, and Girl’s Life Magazine, in addition to a number of academic and scholarly journals. She recently graduated from Seton Hall University, where she majored in Biology and Religious Studies while minoring in Art History. Kennedy is currently pursuing a Master’s Degree at Seton Hall’s College of Interprofessional Health Sciences. Kennedy is a Taylor Swift aficionado who is convinced that a New Jersey bagel makes everything better. In her free time, she can be found teaching spin classes at the gym, playing the guitar, designing art for her Redbubble shop, or roaming the aisles of Trader Joe’s looking for her new favorite product.