Thousands have been forced to evacuate due to the deadly wildfires burning in Maui, Hawaii. According to CNN, the strong winds from Hurricane Dora have amplified the flames, causing communication outages and the destruction of homes and historic buildings, including the popular Maui tourist destination Lahaina town. 

“Tragedy that hits one of us is felt by all of us,” said Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen in a video update late Wednesday night. “With lives lost and properties decimated, we are grieving with each other during this inconsolable time.”

The death toll makes the wildfires one of the deadliest disasters in Hawaii history, according to Hawaii News Now. All search and rescue efforts are still ongoing, but local officials say that number could rise as more information becomes known. 

Here’s how you can help those affected by Hawaii fires through food bank donations and other resources:

Hawaii Salvation Army

The Hawaii Salvation Army started mass feedings for thousands at Maui County/American Red Cross shelter in response to various wildfire evacuations. The organization is requesting meal donations from local restaurants and certified kitchens for meal service at shelters. It was noted that smaller, home-prepared foods and meals cannot be accepted for meal service at shelters due to health safety food preparation standards.

The best way to help the public is by providing “monetary donations which allows the delivery of the exact relief supplies a community needs,” said Victor Leonardi, Divisional Director of Emergency Services & Safety for The Salvation Army Hawaiian & Pacific Islands Division. 

Donations may be made online at Hawaii.SalvationArmy.org. Listings of current volunteer opportunities also may be found at Hawaii.SalvationArmy.org.

Donate at your nearest Foodland

Foodland stores announced they are accepting donations at checkout to support the American Red Cross of Hawaii’s disaster relief efforts. Customers can make a donation of up to $249, donate 250 Maika`i points which is equivalent to a $5 donation, and round up purchases to the nearest dollar at checkout.

Maui Food Bank

The Maui Food Bank is seeking monetary donations in an effort to help feed the displaced residents. Donations can be made online. The organization is also asking to limit phone and email requests to focus on emergency relief.

Fill out these forms from the Hawaii Restaurant Association

The Hawaii Restaurant Association is organizing donations and volunteer efforts on Maui and Oahu. You can sign up to join relief efforts on Maui through this Google form or fill out this Google form to help evacuees transported to Oahu.

Drop off shelter donations at Maui’s War Memorial Complex

The Maui Police Department is asking for donations of non-perishable food, bottled water, hygiene items, and blankets. Those dropping off donations should enter the complex through Kanaloa Avenue and drop off goods on the field to the left. Donations will be accepted through 6 p.m. Wednesday and from 8 a.m. through 6 p.m. Thursday.

Drop off goods at certain local Maui businesses

According to Hawaii News Now, the ice cream shop Cream B and Hoomana Barbell Gym are organizing donations at 1826 Kaohu St. They are requesting donations of food, drinks, snacks, bedding, pillows, and personal hygiene products.