Spoon University Logo
News

Pop Culture Halloween Costumes For Foodies To Try This Halloween

It’s that time of year again. Halloween is right around the corner, which means it’s time to start planning your costume. If you’re anything like me, you struggle with finding the perfect costume. You want it to be niche, but you also want people to be able to recognize it. The balance between niche and recognizable is a hard line to tether, and sometimes it feels impossible to find the right Halloween costume. But, don’t fret, I have eight creative pop culture Halloween costume ideas for you, and the best part is they’re all food-related. Food has had many pop culture moments this year, from the obsession with avocado toast on Love Island to Sabrina Carpenter’s songs “Taste” and “Espresso,” and you can highlight these, and many more, in costume form.

1. Carmy

To start, we have everybody’s favorite Chicago chef from the hit series The Bear, Carmy. As you probably already have some of the clothing items needed for this costume, this would be an easy costume to put together. All you would need is a white T-shirt, black pants, and the classic blue apron. Bonus points if you draw on Carmy’s tattoos.

2. The Gold Cup (From Love is Blind)

If, like me, you have been obsessing over the newest season of Love is Blind, the perfect costume for you is the gold cup. We are all familiar with the gold cups that frame every scene in Love is Blind. The gold cups that are cradled and held by contestants in the pods, and decorate every table that appears on screen. The gold cups are a part of the show at this point, and the best way to pay homage to them is to dress up as them. A gold-cup costume is fairly simple. All you need to do is dress in all gold. I’m imagining a gold dress and maybe some sparkly gold heels. Then, grab your own gold cup, and your costume is complete.

3. Beetlejuice

The release of Beetlejuice Beetlejuice has caused love for the Beetlejuice character to resurface. I can guarantee that many people will dress up as Beetlejuice this Halloween. I have a fun spin on this classic costume. For this costume, you will need a friend to dress up with you. One person will be a beetle. This person will dress in black, and then have the wings of the beetle on their back. The second person will be juice. This person will dress in all orange and then attach a homemade white paper straw to the top of the costume. Together, you both will be Beetlejuice.

4. Guy Fieri

We all know and love Guy Fieri from Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, Guy’s Grocery Games, his restaurants, and more. Guy Fieri also has a specific look that could be fun to recreate in a costume. For the costume, you will need the famous fire shirt. This is a black collared shirt with flames starting at the bottom of the shirt and leading upwards. You will also need a bleach blond wig with spiky hair. You will also need to draw on a brown goatee and wear a pair of black sunglasses. Then, get ready to say, “This is off the hook!”

5. Avocado Toast (From Love Island)

@loveislandusa

Avocado toast is a love language on LoveIslandUSA. 😂 What’s yours?

♬ original sound – Love Island USA

On Love Island, avocado toast is a love language. Making someone avocado toast was a sign that they were vibing with this person, but it also made the entity of America hungry for avocado toast. Love Island’s avocado toast has become a meme, and there is nothing funnier than dressing up as the avocado toast specifically from Love Island. With this costume, you can get crafty. Cut out toast-shaped sizes of brown paper and avocado-shaped sizes of green paper. You’ll also need brown pants and a green shirt. Once dressed, you can tape the paper cutouts of the bread and the avocados onto your shirt. You can also print out characters from Love Island and tape them to your shirt.

6. Red Wine Supernova

@strawberryyardsale

day 26 of 31 of vintage halloween: last minute costume // red wine supernova ⭐️☮️👯‍♀️ #60soutfit #70saesthetic #70soutfit #60sstyle #70sstyle #vintagestyle #vintageclothing #vintagefashion

♬ original sound – lara

We all know many girls are dressing up as Chappell Roan this year, but I have a twist for you, what if you dressed up as “Red Wine Supernova?” To dress up as “Red Wine Supernova,” you will need a friend. This is a costume for two. One person will be the red wine. This costume is relatively easy. You will dress in all red, and wear a headband with a cork glued to it. You can also carry around a wine glass with red wine for an extra touch. A supernova is a large star, so the other person will dress up as a space or a star. This person will wear all silver and a headband that has a picture of the galaxy glued to it. Together, you will be a “Red Wine Supernova.”

7. Cheese on Bread

@netflix

cleo has me saying cheese on bread every five minutes #outerbanks #netflix

♬ original sound – Netflix

The first five episodes of the newest season of Outer Banks just dropped, and many fans have already seen all five episodes. Cleo, the fearless Pogue, has one of the most famous lines in the show: “Cheese on bread.” This Halloween, you can dress up as Cleo’s iconic line. For this one, you will have to get crafty. You will need to make a piece of bread with cheese attached to it out of cardboard and paint.

8. Espresso

We all love Sabrina Carpenter and her fun songs with cutesy humor. This year, you can dress up as one of her most popular songs, “Espresso.” For this costume, I’m imagining a combination of Sabrina’s outfit on the “Espresso” album cover and an actual espresso coffee. On the album cover, Sabrina is wearing a sleeveless black dress with a white line across the top. You could wear this top, and then stick print cutouts of espresso to your dress. You could also glue an image of an espresso to a headband. The combination of Sabrina’s dress and the espresso photos will guarantee that other people will recognize you as the hit song “Espresso.”

Camryn is an undergraduate student at Emerson College. At Emerson College, Camryn is part of many student organizations, including Undergraduate Students for Publishing, where she works as a guest writer for their online website. Camryn is also editor-in-chief of Concrete Literary Magazine, an Emerson magazine that publishes student short stories and poetry. Camryn has also been published in Page Turner Magazine. In her free time, Camryn enjoys seeing live music with her friends, taking her dog for hikes in the woods, and reading.