Maybe you’ve overheard someone mentioning “red rooster sauce” or maybe you know it simply as that red stuff you need to drown your bowl of phở. In any case, everyone has heard of Sriracha.

Honestly, I didn’t see what the big deal was when my friends were constantly hounding me to add Sriracha to whatever I was eating. It was like they didn’t have this stuff in their pantry at home. That’s when I realized, not everyone knew about this nectar from the gods.

sriracha

Photo by Jennifer Cao

While most people probably have ketchup stockpiled in their pantry, I had Sriracha in reserves at my house. This was my ketchup. Ordinary condiments like ketchup or mustard were uncommon ingredients in my home. If I ever needed ketchup it would come straight out of those free ketchup packets you’d find at any fast food chain. Whenever my family went to one of these establishments you can almost guarantee that each of us would leave with at least a handful of these packets.

Recently, Sriracha has been getting a lot of attention. It is slowly, but surely, replacing your everyday ketchup bottle. The craze is spreading—what was once a simple sauce found in your neighborhood restaurant has now dominated mainstream menu items. I’m glad everyone has finally discovered the stuff, but it’s getting a bit out of control.

Forever the Imitators

Fast-food fanatics and junk food connoisseurs alike know that Sriracha has been on the rise. It has made its way to every type of food imaginable and nowadays it’s pretty easy to get your fix of the red stuff whenever you need it. All these companies are jumping on the bandwagon because they know people love to see what new innovations are possible. On top of this, they know that slapping the word “Sriracha” on anything is going to be a crazy moneymaker.

Fast-food joints are making a killing from Sriracha. Just to name a few, you can find Taco Bell’s Sriracha quesarito being downed late at night by poor college kids, to Pizza Hut’s Sriracha crusted pizza if you’re in a more “Italian” mood, to even the Diablo Chicken Ranch Sandwich to accompany that Slurpee from 7-Eleven. Sriracha is everywhere.

sriracha

Photo by Rachel Davis

What you might not know is that their “Sriracha” isn’t actually Sriracha. That’s right, they’re trying to play you like a fool. This isn’t the real red rooster sauce that you and I love. No, these are all Sriracha imitators trying to make a buck. That’s probably why they all taste a little different than what you’re normally used to.

This is why I am proud to announce that Sriracha is coming out with their own official line of products so that you’ll never feel cheated ever again.

Coming Soon to a Grocery Store Near You

All of our dreams have come true. An official line of Huy Fong Sriracha products are coming and they’re going to rip to shreds any chance you had of conquering that red rooster sauce addiction. You no longer have to worry about whether or not you’re eating the real deal shizz or just some knock off wannabe.

Huy Fong Sriracha and Pop! Gourmet Foods have partnered up to bring you even more Sriracha than you can handle. At the moment they already have a line of popcorn and potato chips, so race to your nearest convenient store and buy them all. In the near future they’ll barrage you with Sriracha laced hummus, tortilla chips and croutons – not to mention a couple more surprises they have yet to make official. Fingers crossed, I’m looking forward to a Sriracha beer of some sort.

sriracha

Photo courtesy of eater.com

If you’re feeling a bit more creative, they are coming out with another way to flavor your food in the form of Sriracha powder. It’s actually a spice mixture, but it will contain dehydrated Sriracha as its base. I guess I know what I’m going to add to my barbecue spice rub this summer. Shh, it’s a secret, don’t go telling everyone.

So for all you Sriracha addicts out there, don’t worry about getting bored with the same old same old. It’ll be a miracle if you don’t OD on Sriracha now that it’s literally everywhere.

In case you needed more Sriracha in your life right this second: