Spoon University Logo
EDIT Copy of BLANK SU Hero Image Backgrounds 2?width=734&height=489&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
EDIT Copy of BLANK SU Hero Image Backgrounds 2?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp&dpr=4
News

7-Up Will Drop A Shirley Temple Soda This Winter

This holiday, we can all get excited. 7-Up could be releasing a Shirley Temple soda soon.  According to snackolator, the new flavor will be a limited edition and available in 2 liters, cans, and twelve pack options.There will also be both regular and zero sugar available. With no release date officially announced yet, retailers are expected to have the 7-Up Shirley Temple soda in stock as early as late October.

Named after the actress Shirley Temple herself, the drink is a staple well known by people of all ages. Sweet, fizzy, and refreshing, it is non-alcoholic made with ginger ale and splash of grenadine, topped with a maraschino cherry. It is mostly made for special occasions and other celebrations, but there are many variations to the drink, using lemon lime soda or ginger beer, ice cream is used to make it a float, for a dirty cocktail vodka is often added. Fun fact: Temple wasn’t even a fan of the drink. She felt it was too sweet and inappropriate for children. 

7-Up has previously marketed its soda in the making of the Shirley Temple, and it seems the brand is a fan of the drink as it is featured in several of the recipes on its website. This isn’t the first time 7-Up has released flavors. Currently, you can buy cherry, and Tropical and Pomegranate were two limited-edition flavors available in the past. This decision makes sense, since grenadine syrup is made from pomegranates.  

Fans are already getting pumped for the new flavor. One commenter on Instagram stated “I’m about to order the whole damn lot!!! Where will it be available!?” Another stated “I haven’t been this excited for a soda since Ginger Ale/Lemonade (which I can’t find anywhere). Looking forward to it.” Some plan on using it as a mixer. For others, it will be an alternative when feeling under the weather.  

New flavors from soda companies are common during the holiday season, as soda sales overall are generally higher in the summer months. This could be both a special gift as a thanks, and a method for companies to stay relevant in the time of year where people are spending more preparing their gifts and planning parties. In addition, spirits and wine are the preferences for buyers making for great gift options and stocking stuffers. 

There’s still some time to go, but channel your inner nostalgia and don’t miss out on this special flavor. Make sure to order yourself some grenadine ahead of time and don’t forget the cherries and a fancy straw.

Tanita Love is a writer and journalist born and raised in Akron, Ohio. Her education is in English-Creative Writing at the University of Central Florida. She has also written for The Borgen Project focusing on issues in global poverty and marginalized groups. The past several years her writing work has consisted of creating instructional courses and video content for training. A frequent traveler and food enthusiast, Tanita has a passion for experiencing all sorts of cuisines and learning about different cultures. She’s a big supporter of both small businesses and local farmers markets, and an advocate for efforts in minimizing food insecurity. Her favorite go-to eats are sushi, Chicago style hotdogs, ramen, hot chicken, and pizza. In her downtime when she’s not writing, you can catch her at the movies, at a baseball game watching the Guardians, spending a day at one of Orlando’s many theme parks, or on the beach listening to music. After visiting 36 states, her favorite food cities are Chicago, Boston, New Orleans, Memphis, and Washington DC. For her next trips she plans on going back to Europe and Asia and hopes to spend some time in Africa to help with ongoing work in developing countries.