Spoon University Logo
News

Meet Lil Sweet Treat — NYC’s Newest Candy Shop Going Viral

A “sweet little treat” has been trending for over a year and with good reason. Sweet treats are a necessity, a bit dramatic to say but also true. It’s like a reward, a pick-me-up, or for when you want something sweet after a meal. The sweet little treat can be anything from a coffee in between classes to a doughnut while running errands to munching on a bag of candy while strolling around the streets of New York City. Lil Sweet Treat is the new candy store in New York City and might just become New Yorkers’ new spot for a sugary pick-me-up. 

Where is Lil Sweet Treat located? 

Previously a convenience shop, Lil Sweet Treat is a small but bright store on the block, sporting a pastel yellow and red color palette with a candy mural on the store’s side.

The new candy shop is located in the West Village, specifically 184 7th Ave. S. Over the weekend, Lil Sweet Treat had a soft opening and will be officially open on September 7 for its grand opening. 

@shayfl

new candy shop in the west village for all the candy connoisseurs out there!! 🍬🌟

♬ original sound – rhi🪩 (taylor’s version)

Inside the store, customers are met with baskets of candies that they can scoop and pour into a resealable bag designed by the founder Elly Ross, @ellybellyeats on TikTok.

The shop will be open from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. so late-night treats are also an option.

What candies does Lil Sweet Treat offer?  

The candy store has a selection of Swedish candy, BUBs, and gummies. The candies are globally sourced and you have the option to pick and mix your sweet treats. 

“I actually immigrated to the U.S. when I was very young, and I would always share my Korean snacks with my fellow classmates and get to try their American snacks in return. It was such a fun way of making friends but also seeing their reactions to snacks I have grown up with all my life,” said Ross in a TikTok

As Ross got older and started traveling, she was always looking for the most unique sweet treats to bring back and share with her family and friends. It’s a sentiment that she wanted to expand on a larger scale. 

Ross began showcasing her candy store journey around mid-July bringing her audience along by touring store locations, paint colors, marketing mistakes, and of course candies to expect. 

In a TikTok, Ross mentions that the candies are coming from Sweden, Spain, Belgium, and Germany. Here are a couple of candies highlighted: 

• Berry Panna Cotta Gummies 
  • Sour Foam Bears 
  • Piña Colada Gummy
  • Elderberry Lover Bears 
  • Cherry-infused Rose Blossoms
  • Mango Passion Fruit Drops 
  • Tutti Frutti Sour Rhombus BUBs
  • Sour Bubblegum Foam Skull BUBs
  • Wild Strawberry and Pomegranate Oval BUBs
  • Sour Octopus BUBs

Plus, shipping these candies will be an option for those who don’t live in New York City. 

The grand opening of Sweet Lil Treat is on Saturday, September 7 featuring refreshments, music, and lots and lots of candy. 

Giselle Medina is the associate editor for Spoon University where she helps oversee food coverage of news, pop culture, trends, and celebrities. As someone with a huge sweet tooth, she's always on the hunt for a good chocolate chip cookie. Shoot her an email at gisellemedina@hercampus.com or follow her @giselle_medinaa.