The McDowell formal lounge was filled with smiling faces and the mouthwatering aroma of pizza on Thursday, January 29 when students came out to celebrate the launch of the American University chapter of Spoon University.

While AU’s SpoonU website officially launched over winter break in December, the team chose to hold off celebrating until they got back to campus and the whole university could join in the joy.

Over 200 students came out to support the SpoonAU family, lining up well before the party’s 3:30 pm start time to ensure they got first dibs of the scrumptious food graciously donated by Open City, Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Cava Mezze Grill, and Potomac Pizza.

launch

Photo by Ataya Kanji

The fastest treats to go were the eight boxes of Krispy Kreme doughnuts that guests emptied just as fast as they were opened. The jelly-filled and classic glazed doughnuts flew off the table within the first half hour of the party.

launch

Photo by Ataya Kanji

Cava’s zesty Mediterranean dips disappeared soon after, but guests continued to crowd the table even after every last chip-full of hummus had been scrapped up to munch on the overflowing bowls of freshly baked chips.

To the welcomed surprise of the SpoonAU family, all the food was devoured well before the party was scheduled to end. Guests, however, stuck around to mingle with the Spoon staff, jam to the expertly curated playlist and take pictures in front of the brand new Spoon University banner that made its debut at the launch.

launch

Photo by Ataya Kanji

In addition to all the food enjoyed, gift cards were kindly donated by Panera Bread, Sprinkles Cupcakes, Angelico’s, and Robek’s to be raffled off. Guests were left to wait in anticipation until the winners were announced on the official @Spoon_au instagram later that evening.

The SpoonAU family wishes to send out a warm and heartfelt “Thank you!” to all our supporters – both the restaurants that helped us put on this launch party and the students who came out to celebrate with us. We look forward to keeping you entertained and getting your stomachs growling with all our upcoming posts on american.spoonuniversity.com.