Imagine what would happen if the two trendiest vegetables got together and after 15 years of mating, they produced a commercially available baby to please every vegetable lover’s palate. Well, it’s happened. The kale sprout, or kalette, is now available in grocery stores (including Trader Joe’s) nation wide. It’s part kale, part Brussels sprouts. And it is entirely modern, fun, and delicious.

Kale sprouts are roughly the size of their parent the Brussels sprout, though darker in color and streaked with beautiful purple hues. The leaves that frill from each sprout are leafy with ribbed edges, resembling those of kale.

kalettes

Photo by Katherine Baker

According to kalettes.com, kalettes are the result of 15 years of traditional vegetable crossbreeding methods and are not genetically modified. Both parent vegetables are part of the Brassica Olercea species, which houses broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage as well.

In addition to being novel, this hybrid vegetable is incredibly versatile and delicious. Kalettes boast a lovely nutty flavor with a slight sweetness and a contrast of crunchy and chewy textures. You can prepare them in nearly any way you would typically prepare either parent vegetable, whether it be chopped or shaved raw in a salad, sautéed on the stovetop, or roasted in the oven.

kalettes

Photo by Katherine Baker

To truly appreciate and taste the new vegetable, try preparing it simply to highlight the natural flavors. Below is a fast, easy recipe for garlic-roasted kale sprouts that are great as a side dish or evening snack.

Garlic-Roasted Kale Sprouts

kalettes

Photo by Katherine Baker

Easy

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 20-25 minutes

Servings: 2

2 cups kale sprouts (kalettes)
2 cloves fresh garlic
2-4 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

kalettes

Photo by Katherine Baker

1. Preheat oven to 425°F.
2. Wash kale sprouts and place in a large bowl.
3. Chop garlic into thin slices and add to bowl with kalettes.

kalettes

Photo by Katherine Baker

4. Drizzle in olive oil and toss the kalettes until evenly coated.

kalettes

Photo by Katherine Baker

5. Transfer to a baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes, until edges are crisp and brown.

kalettes

Photo by Katherine Baker

6. Serve warm or cooled as a side dish or snack with additional salt and pepper to taste.