Spoon University Logo
hurricane beryl
hurricane beryl
News

How To Help Those Affected By Hurricane Beryl

Hurricane Beryl is the strongest hurricane in history that has formed in the Atlantic Ocean this early in the year with winds reaching up to 200 miles per hour. This category 5 hurricane left major destruction and devastation as it swept through Jamaica, St. Vincent, Grenada, and the Grenadines last week resulting in the deaths of at least 11 people. Many have lost their homes and are staying in shelters. Over 650,000 people were in the line of the storm in Barbados, Grenada, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent, Tobago, and the Grenadines. Despite Hurricane Beryl having recently slowed as it has moved to Canada and the US, the hurricane has also left many without power in Houston, Texas during a major heat wave. Here’s how you can help those affected by Hurricane Beryl.

How you can help

The best way to help is to donate money to charities and donation centers. If there are local centers around, you can also see if they have a list of certain supplies wanted to help those affected.

UNICEF

The UNICEF’s USA Mercury Fund allows the organization to use unrestricted grant money to help with emergency preparedness before a crisis happens and to help scale up the response to emergencies as they take place. You can donate to the fund or UNICEF USA as a whole.

UN World Food Programme

This program has deployed teams to the Caribbean to help provide meals for hungry children and families. You can donate here to help provide meals.

World Center Kitchen

Representatives are providing sandwiches, hot meals, cases of water, and fresh fruit to communities that were hit hard in St. Vincent, Jamaica, Grenada, and the Grenadines. Teams are traveling by helicopter and boat to reach all the islands affected. You can donate here to help World Center Kitchen provide more communities with food.

Houston Food Bank

The Houston Food Bank is looking for monetary donations and volunteers, if you live in the area. For every $1 donated, three meals are provided to those in need.

American Red Cross

You can donate to the American Red Cross in several ways including visiting the website, calling 1-800-RED-Cross (800-733-2767), or texting REDCROSS to 90999. You can also send a check to any Red Cross location with “Hurricane Beryl” in the memo line.