Here in Iowa it’s not abnormal to celebrate food. Even our state fair is practically dedicated to the tasty goodness that is food. That’s why we aren’t surprised that Iowa’s taking the arrival of Hatch chile peppers in the Midwest so seriously.

Hatch chile peppers are gourmet chile peppers that are only harvested for three to four weeks a year, and are grown exclusively in Hatch, New Mexico. Iowa’s so excited about these fancy peppers that Fareway Food Stores is hosting 24 pepper roasts across the state during August and September, and this is only the beginning.

The people of Hatch, New Mexico have annual festivals celebrating this pepper. Hundreds of people turn up to get their freshly harvested goodies. So what makes these peppers so special? We’ve come up with a list of five reasons why you’ll want to get your hands on these peppers this year.

1. They Taste Amazing

Hatch chile peppers

Photo courtesy of Giphy

Hatch, New Mexico provides perfect growing conditions for these peppers. The temperature is hot during the day, but cool at night. This gives the peppers a savory flavor that leaves your taste buds wanting more. The peppers have three heat levels to choose from; mild, hot and extra hot.

2. They Are Good for You

Hatch chile peppers

Photo courtesy of Capital City Fruit

According to The Dallas Morning News, one medium Hatch chile pepper has as much vitamin C as six oranges and also contains high amounts of calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, niacin, folate and other important vitamins. These chiles can also trigger what’s called “thermodynamic burn” in the body which can actually speed up your metabolism. The peppers are also low in fat and calories.

3. You Can Add Them to Any Meal

Hatch chile peppers

Photo courtesy of Giphy

Easy Mac and Ramen noodles only last you so long. It can be hard to find ways to sneak in the vitamins and nutrients your body needs to make it through the day. Hatch chile peppers can be sliced up and tossed into mac ‘n’ cheese, Ramen noodles, nachos, quesadillas or even grilled cheese. Just slide the skin off of a roasted chile pepper, slice it up and add it to whatever’s on the menu for the night. Easy peasy.

4. You Can Get Them Roasted For Free

Hatch chile peppers

Photo courtesy of Capital City Fruit

Fareway is holding 24 pepper roasting events in Iowa during August and September. You can get your pepper’s roasted, try some free samples and learn what all the fuss is about at the roasts. They will be hosting one at Fareway’s South Ames location this Friday (August 26th) from 4-7 p.m. For a full schedule you can check Fareway.com.

5. They Will Last You ‘Til Next Year if You Freeze Them

Hatch chile peppers

Photo courtesy of Giphy

Freezing your peppers can keep them fresh and easy to use for cooking year-round. One of the best ways to freeze your Hatch chile peppers is after they are roasted. You can leave the skin on and simply toss them in a single layer in a freezer bag. You can also freeze Hatch chile peppers raw.

Hatch chile peppers

Photo courtesy of Giphy

If this article has you salivating, you can sample these chiles and get them roasted for free at one of Fareway’s roasting events. The roasts will feature Hatch chile peppers during their harvesting season and a similar pepper, Pueblo Chile Peppers, later in September. There will be two roasts in Ames on August 26th (South Ames) and September 23rd (North Ames). Check Fareway’s website for a list of complete locations, and get ready for your newest addiction.