Is the DineLA restaurant list too overwhelming for you? Even with the 2 week window (July 14-27), the endless list of restaurants may seem hopelessly confusing. However, there are several diamonds in this mound of dirt, and here are my recommendations for the next two weeks:

Bouchon

Photo by Larry

The moment you step into the restaurant, you almost find yourself transported into a different city, into a bistro in the heart of Paris, where checkered floors and white tablecloths rule the dining scene. As one of the few American chefs with 6 Michelin Stars, Thomas Keller is famous for his food, and Bouchon does not disappoint. With 3 courses for a measly $25, you would be hard-pressed to find a better deal in town.

Patina

Photo by Larry

The namesake of one of the largest restaurant groups in the US, Patina is home to Joachim Splichal, one of the most respected chefs in the culinary world. With alumni from its kitchen including Walter Manzke (Republique), Tony Esnault (Church & State), Eric Greenspan (The Foundry on Melrose, Next Iron Chef contestant), among others, Patina is a Mecca for foodies, where they can see the birthplace of these great chefs. Patina was previously serving a $85 dining menu for DineLA, so having the opportunity to dine here for $45 is almost certainly a steal.

The Bazaar by José Andrés

Photo by Larry

Located in the SLS Hotel at Beverly Hills, the Bazaar is an affluent restaurant, where one might brush shoulders with the ultra-rich or celebrity status. But the stars here are not your fellow diners, but rather the food. José Andrés is one of the most revolutionary chefs of our time, being credited for bringing the small plates dining concept to the US. Having trained under Ferrian Adria at El Bulli, much of his background is reflected in his dishes, such as the Philly Cheesesteak, which you would be remiss not to try.  At $45, this is also practically robbing the bank, considering how much a regular meal here would cost.

Rao’s 

This transplant from the legendary 117 year old New York eatery first generated much hype when it first arrived, given that it’s East Harlem restaurant is the most difficult restaurant to get into in the US, if not the world. So you might be happy to know that, apart from being able experience what most people on the East Coast would kill for, you are able to dine here for $45, which is a complete bargain given that the regular prices would give pause to even the most notorious mob bosses. You’ll have your pick between their signature Lemon Chicken, as well as their Eggplant Parmesan.  Of course, you’ll probably end up sitting next to a celebrity or two.

Bouchon

235 N Canon Dr
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
(310) 271-9910

Patina

141 South Grand Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90012
(213) 972-3331

The Bazaar by José Andrés

465 South La Cienega Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90048
(310) 246-5555

Rao’s

1006 Seward St
Los Angeles, CA 90028
(323) 962-7267