Have you ever had a hankering for a sweet treat that you can eat in the dark? Have you ever needed something to help you cool off that you could bring to a rave? Have you ever wished that your food was bioluminescent?

Then say hello to glow in the dark ice cream. This dessert is a scientific breakthrough and is ready to light up the dark and your taste buds.

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

The search for this radiant recipe began back in 2013 with a British company called Lick Me I’m Delicious. Owner Charlie Harry Francis was inspired by bioluminescent jellyfish and was able to isolate a jellyfish protein that glows when it comes in contact with a neutral pH, like saliva.

ice cream

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

In his own words, “It glows when you lick it.” While the product has an awesome effect, many customers were turned off to the idea of eating jellyfish, along with its £140 price tag (about $225). The process of extracting the protein was insanely expensive, so the product did not do very well.

ice cream

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

Plus, when asked about the product’s safety, Charlie stated, “Well, I tried some and I don’t seem to be glowing anywhere, so we’ll go with a yes for now.” Needless to say the safety pitch didn’t go over too well, but we thank Charlie for paving the way to florescent frozen food.

A year later, two gentlemen in Australia had a breakthrough of their own. Steve Felice, co-owner of the Melbourne ice cream parlor 196 Below, was a dance party child and wanted a dessert he could eat at a rave.

ice cream

Gif courtesy of tumblr.com

He sold neon paraphernalia and wanted an ice cream that could glow under a black light, just like his clothing. After finding a UV reactive food coloring, the company created a stunning product that’s seen great success.

ice cream

Photo courtesy of tumblr.com

The coloring is approved by the Australian government and is safe for consumption. With a vegan recipe and three flavors, the product has captured the senses of late night party-goers in Melbourne.

The company also uses liquid nitrogen to make all of their ice creams, which is how they came up with their company name, as liquid nitrogen has a boiling point of -196°C.

Do you still want more from your ice cream? Here are some crazy ideas for you: