The table was perfectly set up, with every cooking utensil from spatulas to cutting boards laid out neatly. The red and green apples (practically screaming for a Snow White reference) lay in bowls along the middle of the table, gearing students up for Georgetown Dining’s cooking lesson.  I have to admit, it made me want to pull a Snow White and take a bite out of an apple.

Apple Pie

Photo by Erica Wong

Since this is the season ripe (pun intended) for apples, Georgetown Dining’s most recent cooking class at Leo’s was dedicated to making apple pie.

Apple Pie

Photo by Erica Wong

Though students were not allowed to use knives or stand near the oven, this didn’t stop us from our goal of the perfect apple pie. The apples used in the filling were precut and pre-marinated using Chef Teneka’s secret recipe. We took said apples, placed them in their bowls, added cinnamon and sugar to sweeten them, and added flour to give the filling that syrupy quality.

Apple Pie

Photo by Erica Wong

The pre-baked pie crusts came in wonderfully handy when it came time to pour in the fillings, especially since a great dough debacle followed. Unfortunately, we didn’t have quite enough time to lattice the top of every pie, and at least one of the groups ended up covering their apples with the latest fall fashion — a blanket of dough. However, most of us were able to form some sort of crisscross, which according to Chef Teneka, was “the best thing since sliced bread.”

Apple Pie

Photo by Erica Wong

The event was a resounding success, and was a fun way to teach us all how to make one of the most classic fall foods out there. Given the amount of sneaky pre-munching on dough and apples as well as the tasty end products, the pies are long gone. However, Chef Teneka handed out a recipe for these magical pies so that we could recreate them even in a common room. After all, food is meant to be made and shared, isn’t it?

Apple Pie

Photo by Erica Wong