There’s a new way to get drunk, and it doesn’t involve drinking. Meet the vaportini: an innovative little glass that allows you to inhale your alcohol. That’s right, you can now breathe in your margaritas. But what are the implications of this futuristic idea?

No Calories

alcohol

Photo Courtesy of Uweightloss.com

Because you’re inhaling the alcohol, it never reaches your stomach. The alcohol goes into your lungs and straight to your blood stream, without ever being processed by your digestive system. AKA no calories. It’s a win win for your body and your party-centric mind. Plus, now you won’t feel as bad when you drunk eat that fourth slice of reheated pizza.

Faster Effects

alcohol

Photo courtesy of Thedrinksbusiness.com

A blessing and a curse, inhaled alcohol affects you almost immediately after you breathe it in. That means you won’t have to worry about timing your drinks, or waiting half an hour to see if that last shot ever hits you. But at the same time, it means you’re at a much greater risk of suffering from alcohol poisoning.

Unlike alcohol you consume, you can’t throw up alcohol you’ve inhaled. That means there’s no going back after you thought it was a good idea to inhale those last four shots. Scary. But as long as you’re extremely careful about the rate you breathe in your drinks, this shouldn’t something to worry about.

Health Effects

alcohol

Photo Courtesy of NYDailyNews.com

Inhaling alcohol may be more dangerous than we think. As mentioned, the Vaportini enables the alcohol you consume to completely bypass your digestive system. Essentially, because your drinks aren’t metabolized, the strength of the alcohol remains completely intact and that one drink you normally down is way more potent than you’d think. 

Additionally, your lungs aren’t made to contain liquids, or things that can turn back into them for that matter. Breathing in alcohol is a brand new concept, and though little to no studies have been conducted on the subject, it is clear that this new method of getting drunk can lead to nasal and lung infections, and the development of asthma.

alcohol

Photo Courtesy of Dailymail.co.uk

So is inhaling alcohol all it has chalked up to be? Maybe not. It seems like it is still in the development stages and the risks outweigh the rewards. Plus, an inexperienced alcohol inhaler would almost certainly be putting their life in jeopardy. All we can do is hope that the future of vaporizers is bright, and keep sipping our drinks in the meantime.